Lets have some fun with wheel math

Prime Lord

Crappy Default Title
Founding Member
Sep 19, 2000
Denver-ish
Okay, so I've been reading wheel/tire threads until I'm blue in the face. And I'm still undecided.

Here's some background.
I have moved my 99 Cobra wheels to my Fiance's 00 Vert. She needed 4 new tires, and the stock 15" rims looked like crap...so that solved both problems. Now, I'm stuck trying to find some new shoes for my GT. 5 lug conversion is w/ 95 front spindles and axle shafts and all bracketry from a 95 rear axle. I'm running red anniversary cobra calipers on all four corners The rear is using the 10" v6/GT discs and pads. So my rear track is at full SN95 width. Now, w/ the OEM 99 Cobra wheels, the 245/45/17's hit the passenger side outer rear fender only on bounce. Hit it bad enough and often enough to carve a little groove in the shoulder of the tire. Barely cleared the drivers side fender. Not sure why on that.

So, moving forward...
I'm looking at moving to an 18x9/18x10 combo. Now, based on the math of the 99 Cobra wheel (+30mm offset), I know I can't just put the wider rims w/ the same +30mm offset on the rear w/o some serious fender interference. There is a similar wheel that has a +45mm offset and is 9.5" wide. The +45mm offset will pull the entire wheel back underneath the rear the difference of the 15mm.

Does it seem logical then, that the extra 15mm shift toward the center of the car, leaving the axle as is, would be enough to make the 245s fit? I realize that 275's would put me right back out that same 15mm.

The other option is to swap to one of the North Racecars axle/bracket setups to go back to the stock fox track width, upgrade to the 11.5" rotors, and run the +30mm wheels in either the 9 or 10" width. Pulling the rear track in 3/4" going back to fox width seems like it would make the +30mm offset wheels fit fine w/ a 245. But if I did that, would the 10"/275 combo fit at all?

I hate how half of this stuff is metric and some is standard. ugh.

• Sponsors (?)