Lets See Your Ipod Setups!

Fuzion

May 24, 2005
Virginia
I'm looking for ideas on how to mount an ipod in the car. Im not looking on spending a huge amount of money on an Interface Adapter that hides under the seat and all, and i don't want an adapter that plays thru fm radio. i have seen that pioneer makes this product. let me know what u think
lets see ur setups!

• Sponsors (?)

I have that interface in my F150 along with the D3 i installed.

I leave the ipod in the glove box and use the on screen controls and never worry about even touching the ipod.

Just make sure your head unit is compatable with that interface, i know there are some that need the more expensive adapter.

Three words: Drive and Play. It is made by Harman Kardon and you can pick up the gen I for $79 from Amazon or Crutchfield. It includes a small viewscreen that can be screwed down or stuck with a high-powered adhesive to your dash, windshield, basically anywhere (in your field of vision, so you don't have to take your eyes off of the road. Then there is a wired 'mushroom' type of controller that mimics the controls of your ipod. This can be screwed down, use the adhesive, or make up a trick little mount, to attach the thing to your e-brake, (like I did) placing it right where it needs to be, at your fingertips, as your arm rests on the center arm rest/console. Lastly you have the 'brain unit. This can be mounted under the seat, behind the radio (what I did) or where ever. It needs a12volt source, and the wires run to the view screen and the controller.

The Drive and Play has a wireless FM modulator, and you can use the included cigarette adapter, for a 'no wiring' installation. I chose the hard wired, and hidden approach. You can also purchase a wired FM modulator for like $30. The 3rd and best way to input your ipod is to use the RCA inputs. This will not work with your stock radio but does work with 99% of aftermarket radios. I ran the cable for the ipod to the glove box, but you could put it virtually anywhere, you need not be able to see it or access it, when using the radio. I will post some pics of my set up if anyone is interested. Check out the Drive and Play, you will be amazed at how much you get, and they are super cheap! Also the DnP II has a wireless mushroom controller and a full color display blah blah blah for like $399. :nice:

I have a pioneer deck that has that cable to attach the ipod. Best deck i have ever had. I plug the ipod into to cable that i ran into my armrest and control it using the remote to the deck. Awesome sound quality and nobody realizes there is an ipod plugged in.

I have an alpine head unit with an aux output. I just bought an aux cord that will plug into the headphone port on the ipod. the wire runs from the back of the radio, under the center console (to the left of the shifter) and ends up in the ashtray. I got rid of the actual ashtray and the ipod just sits where the ashtray was. When I don't use the ipod I just close the ashtray door and noebody knows any difference ;) Definitely the cheapest way do it. The only downfall is that this method does not charge the ipod, but I don't drive the car much, so that was not issue for me.

I have the JVC KD-AR3000 HU with the JVC KS-PD100 Interface that allows me to use my IPOD through the HU's controls. I know this wasn't your question, but I still wanted to share how sweet it is to have this type of set-up.

I never use CD's anymore since my IPOD has 2 gig of music on it.

interiorshots016.jpg

View attachment 372451

I used a PIE adapter hard wired into my factory Mach 460 unit. It's split so one AUX is for my Satellite radio and the other is for my Ipod. I snaked the wire under my console and up into the center storage bin with about 4 feet of wire. That way i can take it out, and my passenger or I can hold it in our hand easily and pick songs. Then i either rest it in the cupholder or put it back in the center console.

Hard wiring it to the radio sounds the best. I can turn up the volume and the bass is nice and sharp over the factory radio. I've heard FM modulated setups and they sound like ass.

I have my Sat radio mounted on a custom bracket, but it's an SN95 not a fox so pics won't help you

I've used Pioneer's i2000 interface and let me tell you it sucks!! It's nice cause it keeps it charged but you can't find anything on you're iPod through the head unit, you might as well forget searching for any songs and just make lots of playlists.

On the other hand, I have an Alpine head unit with their one-wire interface, and I can control it through the head unit just like I am using the iPod, nearly as quick and easy as using an iPod as I can use the volume knob to scroll.

I was looking to buy a new head unit cause I had a Pioneer and was not going to touch their iPod interface, so I starting searching the net and Alpine's iPod interface was at the top of everyone's list as far as consumer reports, best ratings, and was even best rated in online audio forum.

Can't go wrong with Alpine, hands down the best!

Thanks everybody for the input. by researching a little bit more i found out that the i200 adapter will not work with my current pioneer deck...
is there any other options that i might have to work with my Pioneer DEH-7600mp. its less than 2 years old. I really do not want to buy a new deck.

BTW: CaseyWan, are you still selling Y2K ramcharger electric fans? if yes, shoot me a pm with price shipped to 22304. thanks

Here is my setup:

MVC-033F.jpg

MVC-032F.jpg

MVC-030F.jpg

I prefer to use the drive and play, 1st because it is relatively inexpensive and you do not have to replace your head unit, and 2nd, because the view screen allows you to not have to take your eyes off of the road (much), and the hand controller is intuitive, and you don't have to look at it. As we all know factory stock radio placement is poor, and trying to navigate small buttons that control your ipod is a pain. However it does give you a cleaner installation, with no peripheral devices. I purposely installed mine, with no permanent mounting. No holes, no cutting, no nothing, I could remove the whole thing, and you wouldn't even know that it had previously been there. If anybody cares, I made the e-brake mount out of a broom/mop holder; like you use to hang up a broom etc. in your garage, a large thick metal fender washer, and a heavy duty girls cloth hair rubber band (black). This setup would be great for a 'collectible' car like a Cobra or a Saleen, that you didn't want to hack up or even change out the head unit etc. :nice:

Attachments

• MVC-033F.jpg
    MVC-033F.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 79
  • MVC-032F.jpg
    MVC-032F.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 81
  • MVC-030F.jpg
    MVC-030F.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 77