Lets talk about auto's

• Sponsors (?)

I know this is not going to be cheap, I want to do this once and the right way. I am guessing 7k to get it done. I will sell the viper spec set up after to help recoup some of the costs.

I want to use a stock shifter unless I can be shown why it is a bad idea

Randy Seward runs the Freddy brown piece. He recently drove 800 miles to Bradenton won true street with a 8.67 average after 30 miles and 3 passes and drove home!! If I was in the market for a new trans, that would be a serious consideration.

Reactions: 1 user
On a second note, Freddy Brown modified the stock shifter to have positive stops between gears and from what I hear it worked like a champ!

x3 on the Freddy brown route , there is a member on here and I can't think of his name , he has a 84 ttop coupe twin turbo with a stock shifter and the Freddy brown setup

Subscribing. Not interested in going auto right now...but I'm sure I will be when I actually drive my car for a while.

I'm sure a manually-shifted auto could still be a blast to drive with a turbo car. I don't know :poo: about autos though.

I do not by any means have a high hp car but I have worked on a friends 331 car with a 76 and c4 with a rev manual valve body and trans brake .

his only
regret was not having a aod to have the overdrive .

other wise the car ran awesome trapped 130s with it at the track and went best of 11.2 on 18 inch saleens car Definitely had 10s in it easy and the best was it only made 545 through the stick setup and with the auto made a conservative 475 .... so just think what your car is gonna be like ! GroverDill

I know im no were in the league of your car.So all i can say is WOW that kind of HP and just keep building boost and power....HOLD ON...lol....But with an AUTO it is so nice..just builds boost and stays there...I like the OD its nice to have for just normal driving..if that makes sense..I do daily mine alot...I was thinking of going with a C4 ..but hear that can build an AOD pretty strong today..

4L80 is a gm trans. Would probably be easier to swap a 4r60 in, and either use a bauman controller, or just get a manual valve body.

Those transmissions are pretty strong from the factory. If i were doing it, i would probably just go with a manual valvebody and a transbrake, and run it till it breaks. they are too expensive to build for me.

I am going to pushing north of 1200 HP and am using a 4R70W. Mine was built without the O/D because it is a drag race application, but the O/D can be retained if you want just for no boost cruising at highway speeds. I had my trans built by Dan Gilsdorf at Silverfox Performance Transmission. He also built my friend Walters AOD that withstood 3 years of 9 sec 1/4 mile drag racing with no issues. Total cost to build my 4R70W was around $5500.00 including the custom converter, SFI safety bellhousing, transbrake, deep pan ect. The benefit of the 4R70W over the AOD was that you can get converter lock-up in high gear.

I have read good and bad about lock up vs non lock up. To be 100% honest I don't know what would serve me better. My car is a 99% street car that will see some highway use ( not a lot )

FB and SilverFox are the 2 I am looking at. I don't think I want a computer controlled trans and I would like a trans I could just put in D for normal driving.

FWIW it made 954 with the viper t56 last tune session, I have since dialed out about 1- 1.5 psi, currently making about 920 at 23psi