Let's talk suspension maintenance

bonestock87

Founding Member
Dec 19, 2001
Cape Coral, FL
So the "black pearl" feels sloppy in corners, beats my teeth out over bumps and potholes, and just generally feels loose. I realize that new struts in front and shocks in back are a must, but what else should I look at replacing to get it back feeling tight? I bought this car as a basket case in Nov. 2008 and have about $2000 in repairs/replacement parts/body & paint. It looks good and is very reliable, now I want it to ride good! Thanks:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

- Jack the front wheels in the air supporting them by the lower control arms with jack stands as close to the lower ball joints as possible to unload the suspension.

- Have your friend grab the fronts of each front tire, one at a time, and shake them from left to right. While he is doing this, squeeze the bellows boots on the rack-and-pinion and check for play on your inner tie rods.

- Crawl under the car and take some pics of your lower control arm bushings. If they are blatantly dry-rotted or partly missing, you need new ones (no pic necessary).

- Grab your front sway bar and see if you can move it or slide it side to side.

- Try to squeeze your outer tie rods, in the palm of your hand, and see if they move when squeezed by the pressure of your hand.

- Check for dry rot on the rack-and-pinion bushings and see if you can move the rack-and-pinion by pulling or pushing on it.

All of the above can cause sloppy steering or a loose suspension. If you find any play, replace all the components that are causing the problem.

Thanks FVBonura!:nice:

I wish I had logged in earlier today, I just came in from changing the oil and could have done all that while I had it in the air. I'll do it soon though, preferably when the temps come back up to normal around here.:(

what FV said.

My 93 was handling pretty bad - turned out that the rack was bad - a normal "wear and tear" for mustangs. Got lucky that the outer tie rods were fine.

I had about 1/2" play in the rack - you could easily move it. Tires rocked back and forth while up in the air. I bought the cheap 80 buck rack and pinion that comes with the inner tie rods.

Fairly easy to pull the rack on the 2.3 - be sure to measure from known spots on the rack to the placement of each outer tie rod - then remove outer tie rod connection to the wheels. drop rack and remove all at once. I broke my outer rods loose and installed them on new rack in the same position, put rack in and was good to go - only off a little on alignment- went to a firestone and paid the 60 bucks to have it aligned. all is nice and tight now.