Lifters

I am installing new hydraulic lifters in a 78' 302. Can anyone tell me wether or not these need to be soaked in oil over night or just dipped. I have heard both and not sure which is the correct procedure. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

when i install new lifters, i coat the sides and bottoms with assembly lube not motor oil. then depending on what went on before, i will either pre oil the engine, that assumes a new oil pump but i didnt take it apart to pack it with vaseline, or if having packed the new oil pump with vaseline, or i am putting a new cam into an engine that didnt need the bottom end touched, i will let the oil pressure pump the lifters up.

I just soak them in oil and let them pump up, then coat with more oil or cam lube for initial startup. Make sure to prime the oil pump and verify that the oil is traveling up the pushrods to the rocker arms, also verify with an oil pressure gauge, you don't wanna start up to realize something is not right and oil pressure is inadequate. Ask me how I know.

You will also want to run it with the valve covers off, so you can verify that the pushrods are spinning. If they're not, then the lifter isn't either, that means the cam & lifter are going to last about 30 minutes.

Yes I agree with this. This is why I prefer to adjust my rockers with the car running. Get yourself some junker valve covers, cut the tops off, and you're good to go.