Light Bar vs. Roll Bar

A friend of mine has a 2003 GT convertible and he wants to buy a "light bar" for it. I told him he should skip the light bar and have a true roll bar installed. That would look nearly the same and it would allow him to do DE events with me at VIR. (safety requirement) The cost is similar, and a light bar is just a "fake" rollbar right? He thinks roll bar will depreciate his vehicle. :rolleyes:

I think he should get the roll bar. Am I way out in left field here?

• Sponsors (?)

You're both right. If he plans to race the car, he will need the roll bar. But yes, the roll bar will greatly reduce the car's value because it is proof positive that the car has been raced.

i have been contemplating this my self. i have an 02 gt vert that i race, but now that i run 13.60's, technically i cant and have to dial in at 14.00 and hit the brakes which sucks. the light bar looks awesome, and i think the roll cage would look stupid. i know i need at least a 6 point cage and this kind of defeats the purpose of having a convertible. if i could find a roll cage that looked decent i would consider it, but i have not yet seen one.

MoNsTaMaCk24 said:
Chrome roll bars look sweet! Ground designs 2000 makes one and it doesnt look ricey! Their tonneau cover might be a bit too much but I love their chrome roll bar on the yellow cobra!!! Look into that!!!

You have a link to a vendor that carries that? Google gave me nothing.

I did find this though searching for "Mustang GT roll bar" :

rearhoop1.jpg

It looks "ricey" to me, but my tastes are old school. Wouldn't that thing drive you nuts at night with the top up. It seems as if it would be like turning on a bright red dome light every time you touch the brake.

Feel free to flame away. :nice:

stalker that is a light bar not a roll bar-i have 1 installed on my car (pics in sig). there are 2 ways to solve the light problem when the top is up 1- install a switch to turn it off/have it turn off automatically when the light is top is up. and 2 just leave it. contrary to what most believe the light really doesnt effect anything. you cant even tell its on sometimes when you hit the break. ive had people inside my car in the back seat and not 1 of them complained of the red light. i was thinking do you think it could be possible to do both? im assuming a rollbar is made out of steel or some type of metal could that be wrapped in the plastic type coating like the lightbar? maybe take out that piece of metal in the lightbar- then put in the roll bar-then fit the lightbar around that? :shrug:

Can you get a roll bar that has an asstetic covering like a light bar? If so, get that :)

As far as talking him into getting a rollbar for HPDE's. Check to see what the sactioning body's rules are (configuration, wall thickness, do racing seats have to be installed with it, etc).

Roll Bar

Personally, Since a Mustang is a Muscle Car, you want to try to make it look as "hard" as possible. A light bar will make it look cool, but a roll bar makes it look more manlier. I got a roll bar for my baby, and damn do I get attention.

Ricestalker said:
The cost is similar, and a light bar is just a "fake" rollbar right? He thinks roll bar will depreciate his vehicle. :rolleyes:

I think he should get the roll bar. Am I way out in left field here?

I have a convertible too.

The "light bar" is purely cosmetic. The only functional thing it does, is to hold up an extra third-brake light.

I had thought about a 4-point roll bar. This way, it would not interfere too much with using the rear seat. I just wish that someone would make a roll bar which looked "tailored" to the interior. By this I mean, padded with something which matched the rest of the interior, preferably leather in the same color as my seats. Yea, I know that if I actually ever rolled over, the leather would be torn apart, but if that happened, the condition of the roll bar coverings would be the least of my worries.

Hay, the factory roll bar in my old "rugged" Jeep was at least covered in a padding which color matched the interior. I would want something at least that good in my new Mustang.

Light Bar is purely for aesthetics. Since I've pretty much decided not to take the car any further performance-wise and I only take it to the track(1/8th mile) maybe 6 or 7 times a year, I'm going to go with the light bar. I also have a wife that hates the way the Roll Bar looks so I'm going with the Light Bar. I would liketo go with the Roll Bar for the safety factor but I guess I won't.

lethalstang said:
Personally, Since a Mustang is a Muscle Car, you want to try to make it look as "hard" as possible. A light bar will make it look cool, but a roll bar makes it look more manlier. I got a roll bar for my baby, and damn do I get attention.
Pics? I've never seen a vert with roll cage with the top down.

I think light bars are dumb. Why do you want that goofy thing above you in a vert??