lightening the car? How?

Xtreme Limits

Founding Member
Nov 30, 2001
Hudson, Florida
How can i lighten a 99-04 vert, if money wasnt a problem?
What parts can make my vert lighter?
first ill get a K-member & aluminum/carbonfiber drive shaft.

After that i'm not sure what to do, i want to put my 500+Hp 418w stroker in it....

Do they make any carbonfiber parts like fenders, doors, anything?
I'm trying to get it to 3300-3500lb's cus I have a 90 vert that is only 3300lb's & I can probably get it down to 3150-3200lb's. If I can't get the 99-04 vert lighter I'll end up sticking my new motor in my 90 vert...

Please help I want to keep the 99-04 vert and road race her....HELP

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1987 but I took out the center console and rear seat (U can get a rear seat delete kit also) I also removed all of the A/c components. This isn't a weight loss but distribution- moving the battery to the trunk.

carbon fibre hood,

remove all buy your seat

maybe go for a lighter carbon fibre race seat,

if you dont care how it looks

remove doorpanels, carpet, dashboard etc etc

spare wheel

full carbon fibre race helmet

etc etc

or go to the extreme like ferrari did with the (insert model as i cant remember) and use a very thin amount of paint on the car to save weight,

it was so thin you could see the carbon fibre weave through the paint!

Si

Don't forget to ditch the Mott bar, sound deadening tar material, and scoops. Those, combined with the spare tire gone, seats, all A/C stuff, and a tubular K-member with coilovers in place will make for a good start. After that, put the battery in the trunk, ditch the gas tank for a small fuel cell in the trunk, and get some draglites. It will be insanely different!

Depends alot on whether you want it to still be street legal.

Not sure on the legalities of different states....but some lightening techniques aren't always street legal. E.G. ditching your glass for something lighter weight like plexi or something.

You could just take off the hood completely and add a v-tec sticker?

And since its a vert....remove the top and all that hardware completely from the vehicle. Swap out your SFC's that came stock for something much lighter. Not to sound mean, but if you have a few extra pounds on you, lose em. And everything else everyone else said.

carbon fibre hood,

remove all buy your seat

maybe go for a lighter carbon fibre race seat,

if you dont care how it looks

remove doorpanels, carpet, dashboard etc etc

spare wheel

full carbon fibre race helmet

etc etc

or go to the extreme like ferrari did with the (insert model as i cant remember) and use a very thin amount of paint on the car to save weight,

it was so thin you could see the carbon fibre weave through the paint!

Si

Ferrari F50

and you CAN get ti down to 3300... just gonna look like poo...
take out the top and motors if its a race car...

I did all that I said in my post and want straight pipes out of the headers going out in front of the rear wheels (side exit) hoping that will save weight sound mean and not be a loss in power. Smog is not an issue for me :) Which reminds me, you could and I should do this too now, remove the smog pump. I also think I lost a little weight on the car when I switched it to carbed. Dunno if anyone said lightweight hood yet.

Here are some tips:
-stop eating scottish food (McDonalds)
-brake system delete (just stop fred flintstone style, the hole in the floor for the new brake system will also reduce weight)
-seat delete, front and back (instead sit on a 5 gallon bucket made of carbon fiber)
-steering wheel delete (its quite heavy, use telekinesis instead)
-roof delete (feel the breeze in your hair mon)
-shaved driveshaft (use a die grinder get it shaved down as thin as possible)

Here are some tips:
-stop eating scottish food (McDonalds)
-brake system delete (just stop fred flintstone style, the hole in the floor for the new brake system will also reduce weight)
-seat delete, front and back (instead sit on a 5 gallon bucket made of carbon fiber)
-steering wheel delete (its quite heavy, use telekinesis instead)
-roof delete (feel the breeze in your hair mon)
-shaved driveshaft (use a die grinder get it shaved down as thin as possible)

You forgot the engine delete...Downhill racing is where it's at.

the mott bar is supposed to help cancle out vibrations in the drive train... if you have a gear and driveshaft you can take it off no problem, but if you have or the other you might have mixed results... i have stock driveshaft so i have left it alone for the time being, but i should take it off since ive got those heavy ass 17x10.5's out back now.

The mott bar is a heavy piece of steel that is bolted onto the bottom of the pinion snout of your differential. Two bolts, and it's gone.

Also called the dog bone.

Dogbone.jpg