limiting top speed

For all you know, he will respect the awesome fox and his father too much to beat on it and risk wrecking it. I know I have that much respect for my dad.
It's got nothing to do with respecting ones father. It's all about respecting the power of the machine and recognizing limitations….both in the capabilities of the car itself and at a personal level. Add elevated teenage testosterone levels, know it all attitude, peer pressure and plain old stupidity and it's a recipe for disaster.

Dad's not going to have any control over the later (as much as we would all like to), so he might as well take control in any area he's able to and neuter his ride.

• Sponsors (?)

When I was a teen, I used to hit triple digit speeds on a regular basis. Sure I respected the car, but I still did things I would not do now.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I did 100mph. It's been years. I haven't even pushed my fox 5.0 past 70 in the last 2 years vie been driving it since pulling it out of storage.

You way of thinking changes as you get older. I was a straight shooter in HS. Good grades, got college scholarship, all that bs that parents talk up and think their kid is then best...yadda yadda yadda....I still drove 130 mph on a public road.

I often say if I could go back in time, I'd kick my own ass for the stupid **** I did. Your mind is just immature at that age and you tend to think a lot differently when you grow up and gain maturity (hopefully)

When I was a teen, I used to hit triple digit speeds on a regular basis. Sure I respected the car, but I still did things I would not do now.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I did 100mph. It's been years. I haven't even pushed my fox 5.0 past 70 in the last 2 years vie been driving it since pulling it out of storage.

You way of thinking changes as you get older. I was a straight shooter in HS. Good grades, got college scholarship, all that bs that parents talk up and think their kid is then best...yadda yadda yadda....I still drove 130 mph on a public road.

I often say if I could go back in time, I'd kick my own ass for the stupid **** I did. Your mind is just immature at that age and you tend to think a lot differently when you grow up and gain maturity (hopefully)

I graduated top honors, college scholarship, advanced placement classes, 4.0 GPA, the whole deal. I still drove like a complete lunatic and I often question how the hell I drove the way I did and made it past age seventeen alive. Looking back on that time now as a twenty-five year old with a career and six years of higher education under my belt, I'd be extremely weary of letting my son get behind the wheel of a car as unstable (and now, by all rights, old) as a fox Mustang. Let him get a few years of immaturity behind him, then let the choice be his. That's just my two cents...

As cool as it'd be to have a 5.0 Fox as a first car, I'd probably be dead if that were my case. My first car was a Hyundai Tiburon with 140 earthshattering ponies under the hood and I managed to get into a lot of trouble with it. 6 months after I got it, I was driving like an ***, spun out and hit a Miata. Luckily no one was hurt and I only lost my summer spending money and my license for 6 months.

If I had a kid (huge if) I'd get him something with a stick shift, so hopefully he doesn't try and eat/talk on cell phone/text and all the other ridiculous things new drivers try to do while driving. Big thing like other people were saying, you just gotta talk with him and make sure he's trackin' that driving's not a game, teach him good habits and where to safely do the crazy things (like the track, after he's got the experience).

I definitely drove crazy and it resulted in totaling out my first fox. It was only luck that saved me. I was an experienced driver, and even a somewhat experienced racer (from age 12: Go-karts, autocross, and drag racing) by then. I drove like I owned the road. I'll admit that I still don't always drive as safely as I should. I was straight laced myself, and respected my father more than I've ever respected anyone in the world. I will not give one of my kids a fox as his first ride. I believe a newer 4-door passenger car is the best way to start. Not to much power, long wheel-base, low Cg, and equipped with safety systems (air-bags, crumple zones, etc...). I talked my mother into this for all of my younger brothers, and so far so good for them.

Chris

My parents made me buy a slow, front wheel drive, airbag equipped car when I was 16. This is what I did with it:

Valet.jpg

The car I bought after that was the Mustang I own today. :D

That is impressive. I've never seen someone go to such great lengths to burp air out of their cooling system. :D

That accident was full of crazy, too. The car would have still been perfectly drivable had the firefighters not popped one of the tires trying to get it down. Also, that telephone pole had cracked, it was literally just balancing there... Like a house of cards.

Took two fire trucks and a tow truck, a spider web of chains and cables, and more than 3 hours to get the car down. They towed the car to a local shop, then towed it to my parent's house. The telephone pole and the transformer attached to it were a loss. What did I get charged for? Just that stop sign you can clearly see is undamaged in the picture. HAHA!