Lincoln Mark VIII

BDAWK2002

Apr 28, 2005
Old Bridge N.J.
Does anyone have any info on the 97/98 Mark VIII's.My freind is thinking about buying one and I was wondering what kind of rep these cars have.There doesnt seem to be too many of these cars around and I know Ford only produced them for a couple of years so I was wondering if they had quality problems.The one he's looking at is a 98 LSC with 50,000 miles on it.It's got the 4.6 in it but I'm not sure wich version.I dont even know how many version's there is for the 4.6(5.0 guy).I was also wondering if the cars had any electical or suspension issues,the thing is full of all kinds of gizmos and screens.I proly throw this up in the 4.6 fourm too.Thanks for the help.....

• Sponsors (?)

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Dont those have the 32 v 4.6?
I'm not sure...It's a LSC so I dont know if they put a different motor in these than the regular mark's.Either way werent the 4.6's still dogs in 98?I'm goin to check it out with him tomorrow so I'll try and figure out what motor it has.From the pictures I have seen it's definately a hot lookin car though.

i can vouch that the earlier 90's marks are very fast especially for such a big car... and as for the 4.6's....you're thinking of the sohc motors as dogs...the dohc=cobra motor=fast if thats in fact what it still has in it by that year

Its not going to be the "Cobra" motor, just a 4-valve 4.6. The "Cobra" motors are hand built and have an extremely strong bottom end. However, I'm not saying that those Mark VIII don't haul balls though. After prom in high school, me and my buddy (he had his grandmas Mark) took that SOB to around 125, and it got there fast. I remember when I thought 125 felt fast... huh, oh well. :D

The Mark VIII introduced the Mod 4.6L to the market. It was the first production car that Ford put the motor in. It is a DOHC motor - first generation. The motor was obviously improved over time, but remember the Mark VIII was a luxery sport car. I bet exhaust would do a little something for it.

Also, the MarkVIII has an IRS and an air suspension that lowered as the car picked up speed and leveled when the car loaded down. I wanted one in '93. If it wears out, you might consider replacing the air ride with a static setup to save repair costs.

Mike (Mustang5L5) had an infamous Mark VIII - But I cant remember what year it was. He is a savvy guy and should have some input if one were to PM him.

good luck.