List of 5-speed donor cars or trucks?

• Sponsors (?)

If you have the money for it I would go for a tremec or a g-froce 5-spd\\

The T5 was offered in Mustangs, Thunderbirds, Capris, and possibly other Ford vehicls from 1983 all the way up to 1996, but you have to be careful -there are different specifications for 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder, and V8 cars. What you want is a T5 from a V8 car, ideally a Mustang. The 1983-1989 V8 T5's are rated at 265 lb.ft. of torque, while the 90-93 T5's are rated good to 300lb.ft of torque (93 Mustang Cobra T5 is rated for 310 lb.ft.) The difference is in the internal components and also the gearing. See the chart below for gearing differences. The 1994-1995 T5's are not desirable because the input shaft length and thus bellhousing depth were changed to accomodate the new SN95 Mustang body style. If you do come across one of these dirt cheap the input shaft can be replaced with one from an earlier T5, but it'd have to be a really good deal (read free) to go through the trouble. Finally, we should mention that the T5 is also called the "World Class T5", but many people incorrectly believe the term World Class refers to a stronger type of T5. All Borg Warner T5's are considered "World Class", so don't rely on that term to indicate the type of T5 you have. The best bet is to find the T5 attached to the car, or with reliable evidence of the car it came out of. If that fails, look for the stamped aluminum tag hanging of one of the tail shaft bolts and use the ID chart to identify the model. Copy the numbers down and call D&D or Hanlon and beg them to tell you what year it's out of.

While it is best to shoot for the 90-93 T5 due to its increase torque capacity, you shouldn't pass up a good 83-89 T5, espeically if you're engine is not heavily modified. We've found that T5 strength and longevity is more a factor of its condition and mileage rather than it's torque rating. A used, high mileage, Cobra T5 will probably shift poorly and give out much sooner than a earlier T5 that came out of grandma's car.

I think I had a T5 in my F150 V6. Everyone told me it was a POS but I never could break it, even with the many, many miles of off-roading. I even broke off a piece of the casing from riding in rough terrain.

Anyway I will keep on looking, thanks for the tips

Jkstang78 said:
Finally, we should mention that the T5 is also called the "World Class T5", but many people incorrectly believe the term World Class refers to a stronger type of T5. All Borg Warner T5's are considered "World Class", so don't rely on that term to indicate the type of T5 you have.QUOTE]
Jk, good info. one petty nit pick. i always thought that the T5's for stangs in '83 and 84 were NWC (Non W.C T5's). if so, practically speaking, you are still correct. just a little thing to look out for (i.e., if a tag comes up from an 83 or 84. yeah right). :)
nice write up, :nice: