List of things Needed For GT40P swap! (all gt40p owners come in!!!)

Adam95GT

Aug 14, 2006
Burlington, NJ
Anyone have a list i know a few guys have done it recently... as of right now here is what i can think of...

Gt40p Engine - $600 with 76k on it
t-5 trans- $500
Alumnium DS - $175 used
E303 Cam- $125 used
mac p headers???? has anyone done the swap and gotten away with out using the p headers and used a normal set of mac shorties...

Then $550 for the install from my friendly local mechanic... i might try it my self... you guys think i can handle it...??? Just with hand tools ect... Also do you think i can make a JY an offer for the motor they said $600-650 i wanted to see if they will take $550...

I figure this would be a decent set up i will get 3.73's eventually...

What do i need to swap over to the explorer motor???

Ditsy
Timing Cover
Oil pan

the check came time to start spending... i want to keep it under like $2000
Thanks Guys,
Adam

• Sponsors (?)

also gotta transfer over your fuel rails + injectors, and a fox tb swap would be easiest to do.

don't forget the oil pick-up, and you may want to install a new oil pump driveshaft from ARP while you're there.

i'm sure there's other stuff, i just don't remember.

I did mine about 3 years ago but.....

You will basically need to strip down the exporer motor to the bare block, and put all your stuff on.

This means, removing the oil cooler, oil pan, accy brackets, dist. sensor, timing cover, water pump,etc
It will be pretty obvious when you get the motors sitting next to each other.

Also, while your in there, make sure you get the trickflow stock head upgrade kit, which includes new springs and oil seals.......it can rev higher safely, can accept a much higher lift cam, and you should replace the valve seals while your there....it all comes in the kit....summit.

Also, if you got the cash get some roller rockers...NOT proform.

dont forget to get an intake elbow if your using the explorer intake

do it yourself.....its stupid easy as its a direct swap

its really not hard. When i did my explorer motor in my garage, i had never pulled an engine before. It was pretty easy overall.....Its sorta obvious what you have to do to the explorer block.....you just use all your old stuff on your current engine.

just label everything and you will be fine.

Good news... i just talked to one of my friends who is a ford tech... he since quit his job and works at advanced auto and does auto work out of his house with a friend... basically started their own busniess.... Well i wanted to see how much he waould charge me for the swap and everything... he said he just charged my frined $550 for a swap he needed done in 2 days... so i told him like no preasure on time or anything... as long as its done in like a week or so im happy... but if we could get it done on a friday saturday sunday... id come help... and give him a hand... so he said hes gonna see how much to charge me... but basically we are gonna do the swap at his house with 3 people so we should knock it out rather quickly... and he said since im helping hes not gonna charge me that much... iva also found a set of 3.73's locally for $40 and an 65mm tb for $ 80 that i might pick up... im gonna sell my explorer intake manifold to help pay for the motor... i dont want to spend over $2000 total... also what cams are you guys using... i was told to go with an E303.... any other sugestions... i also found an alumnium ds locally for $150....

Any other things i should pick up... i have new wires... i want to use my current headers instead of the P's and just maybeput a peice of heat wrap between the header and the wire... anyone done this???

should i get a new water pump... since im using the mustangs pump and it has 212k on it????

get a new water pump--that way you won't have to worry about it. don't forget an ARP oilpump driveshaft and ARP rod bolts (for the same reasons--no worries).

btw--our throttle bodies are already 65mm...

you should be alright w/ regular headers--from the research i did, a few that have done this dont' have any trouble except for putting heatwrap/shields on the spark plugs.

the E cam sounds niiiice... i'm running a Comp Cams n2o cam w/ the matching valve springs.

hhow much does the oil pump shaft etc run... thanks for all the help you guys are giving... i dont think im gonna do the stock head upgrade kit... trying to save some cash... lol i just want mid 13's out of the vert and ill be hapy for awhile... but how much does the head upgrade kit cost.... you think ill be alright without a tune... should i go with an E or B cam??? i dont wanna go toooo harsh... trying nont to make my ecu angry LOL... i thought our stock throttle bodys are smaller then that...??? did you use the explorer TB??? i know they are 65mm if so how did you do it... also what did you do for intake piping.... if you used the explorer tb i guess i can sell my intake elbow?????

If you work on it for a day, you could have your old engine out, everything swapped over, and the new one in in around 12 hours if you're mechanically inclined. It's really not a hard swap at all, IMO. I just did it myself (minus the P heads) last year. Aside from the parts I replaced which needed it, everything comes together quickly. I pulled my old engine and trans as one unit, but reinstalled them separately because I had no help with the swap. I'd say I have total of 12-14 hours invested with finding new problems that required attention (water pump impeller was bent on the old one), and a couple other things I can't remember. If you give yourself a weekend, you're good.

Nice deal... rod bolts are a little up there... i guess ill se what i have left over...

right now i found a trans with 4?,000 miles on it for $400 shipped from ohio...
and an e303 cam used for $80 shipped...
3.73's for $40

hows that sound...

im gonna tell the guy YES on the trans...

Still thinkning about the e303 cam... is that a good price...

hows $175 sound for an alumnium DS????

the e-cam price is pretty good, just make sure it's in good shape--same thing for the gears and tranny.

look around at junk yards for the aluminum driveshaft--i got mine for $60 off the same car i got the 3550, clutch, and x-pipe from.

yea... im kinda stuck eciding if its worth this swap or not... because i know ill never get back what i paid for out of this car.... but from the looks of it its decent.... and it looks like its rather reliable from what ive heard... and my 212k motor is probally tired...

1)Forget rod bolts. You're not taking the bottom end apart.
2)I wouldn't even swap the oil pump or shaft. Swap the pickup tube, though.
3)Keep the Mustang TB, the throttle cables and stuff are totally different.
4)I don't have an opinion on the cam other than the Exploder one will NOT make you happy.
5)Sometimes 3 guys can be a hindrance, when swapping an engine. ;)

This swap can be done in a day or two, depending on how efficiently you all work together. I have swapped a 302 in a 1966 Fairlane in 4 hours...two guys. From the time the front bumper broke the garage door plane till it broke the plane with the "new" engine. It entered and exited under it's own power. We were "taking our time".

yea i mean i think i could really do it my self with the g/f handing me tools... but id rather do it with friends around that know whats up even if i have to pay them ya know... but looks like i found my trans i think im gonna shop around for the motor... that one i found that has 74k on it for $600 aint bad... but i think i can find one lower if i keep looking.

ALSO: any advice on cleaning up the motor??? painting the engine bay etc...??? im thinking about getting a set of valve covers and stuff while i have the motor out so i can clean it up... im also going to seel my explorer manifold to offset the cost of the motor a little bit :nice: