Locking gas cap ?

Dorsai

Aug 13, 2005
Connecticut
Anyone know where I can buy a locking gas cap for the 04 GT ? I think some azzmonkey was stealing gas from cars at the movie theater. :mad: These rising gas prices are going to cause more problems all the time....

• Sponsors (?)

1low03gt said:
My locking gas cap just spins in circles.When you lock it,the top portion spins.Like to see some one to try to keep spinning that thing of at it just spins,and spins,and spins. :p
In my opinion,they are a good investment,and insurance.:nice:

Yep, mine does too. It clicks like the stock cap when tightening it but it just free-spins in the opposite direction when it is locked. I got it at autozone .. you have to ask one of those winners to get one for your car, they are not just randomly placed in the store (FWIW).

Dorsai said:
Im listening...:shrug:

During Hurricaine Rita (during the gas shortage here) I got memo's to add locking gas caps for all of our fleet trucks. We have 3 different models- Chevy's, Toyota's and Fords.
Well the memo said all trucks except for the Fords. I asked a ford/merc tech that I know cause I was calling BS also, and he said it was true. Something about the vacuum return on the spout. If I remember right its all Fords from 93ish...:shrug:

I myself have never tried, so its all hear-say but from 2 very good source's.
I talk to him almost daily, so I'll ask him again tomorrow.

Sooooo .... it can or can't be? Interesting that someone has but someone else says that there is a filter that would be blocking ... I'd like to know fo' sho' :Word:

Dope 97GT said:
The locking gas caps can be broken fairly easy you just twist them till they break. My friend had one on his Dakota R/T and we used to steal them and he just kept buying new ones. You just twist them till they break.

It's true these things aren't imperviable...but remember the point of the old story about two guys running from a bear in the woods: you don't have to outrun the bear...you just have to outrun the other guy. :D

Motorcraft makes a nice locking cap. I've had one on my car for 2 years now...it's like $30, is OEM quality (with a tether and all), and has a nice Ford-logo swing-away cover over the lock.

Dorsai said:
Anyone know where I can buy a locking gas cap for the 04 GT ? I think some azzmonkey was stealing gas from cars at the movie theater. :mad: These rising gas prices are going to cause more problems all the time....

Autozone, Advanced Auto and O'reillys has them. Ask for one at the counter. I got both of mine after Katrina :( . Damn bastages syphoned from my '94 and broke the fuel level float in the process.:mad: had to drop the tank and replace it at my expense :notnice:

john_324 said:
It's true these things aren't imperviable...but remember the point of the old story about two guys running from a bear in the woods: you don't have to outrun the bear...you just have to outrun the other guy. :D

Motorcraft makes a nice locking cap. I've had one on my car for 2 years now...it's like $30, is OEM quality (with a tether and all), and has a nice Ford-logo swing-away cover over the lock.

Interesting, where'd u pick one of those up from?