Long term effects of Steeda UDP's

mode101

Apr 13, 2003
Dallas, TX
Has anyone seen any long term engine damage or problems that could be directly attributed to Steeda under drive pulleys?

I figure the generation mustang I have 99-04 there are a lot of mustangs out there with high miles on them that installed these pullies.

anything to report?? :)

• Sponsors (?)

I had Roush pullies but they were the piggyback style. Went through 3 alternators so I pulled them off. Now granted I drive ALOT more miles (30,000 a year) than most people so the wear would be greater than the average driver. Given the Steeda's replace the crank pulley so if I were to get another set they would be the ones I would go with.

Thats a good point.. Do pulleys really help enough to even mess with?

Depends...it is a means to more HP but they generally free up only about 5-7HP. Good for a tenth or two at the track if you are looking for a few extra there. Everyday seat-of-the-pants I couldn't feel a thing. Combined with other mods that give you the around same bump in HP it is a decent gain for a reasonable price.

If you are looking to keep up with that LS1 that smoked you...it won't happen with pulleys alone.

i installed pulleys with a series of things. alone they dont make a noticeable difference but with other bolts on i could tell a difference. i dont like the piggy back kind. thats why i went with a new sfi approved crack pulley. i cen deffinately tell a difference. i do a decent amount of driving and have no problems.

I have march piggy back on my 2000. The very first mod on it, the car now has134,000 miles!!!!!!!!! no problems here, i do like the steeda better than the piggyback. I say every little pony helps, some people here will tell you they dont do anything for hp. yes they do free up some hp.

I know you don't want to hear it or spend the money, but you should really fork over the $$$ for a quality balancer like ATI or Innovator's West. But I also dislike Steeda, everything they put out is half-assed.

The only harm you could ever get from Steedas is from a botched install or if you have a 5 million watt stereo. I had mine installed at Mustang Magic for 50 bucks. After 7 years they have paid for themselves over and over again in gas, and have given some extra performance too. No brainer.

I've been running the Steeda pulleys for a while and can't complain. Some people speak of overheating though I live in Texas and haven't experienced this problem? I imagine it's possible if sitting at idle for long enough :shrug:

I've been running the Steeda pulleys for a while and can't complain. Some people speak of overheating though I live in Texas and haven't experienced this problem? I imagine it's possible if sitting at idle for long enough :shrug:

MMFF magazine actually talks about this in the current issue.
Basically what they say is that if your cooling system is having problems to begin with, UDP will only aggravate the problem.

The problem with piggyback pulleys is that the factory balancer mounts on them. When they aren't seated perfect it causes vibration and your crank becomes off balanced. IMO, that would cause alot of damage to the crankshaft, especially at high rpm.

UD pulleys don't add that much hp, if any, but they do add torque from what I've seen on a dyno comparison. I'm sure they add hp but most people only compare peak power and not over the rpm band.

As for the remark about overheating, I read that with UD pulleys, water flow is better at high rpm

I implore you to find a valid problem with Steeda UDP's.

Can't speak for greenbird but my Steeda crank pulley disentegrated on me at the NMRA Reynolds race in 2004. At the time the pulleys had been on the car for about 90k miles (car had 111k miles at the time). I made my second qualifying pass and the car felt sluggish and was running really rough. I got back to the pits to find the pulley wobbling really bad. Upon inspection the rubber guts of the pulley had litterally fallen apart. I got it pulled off the car and showed it to the guys at Steeda and they pretty much blew me off like no big deal. So having no choice I bought another set and borrowed tools to get it fixed before next round.

Was it isolated? Maybe as I haven't heard of many others having the same problem. Had I been racing a high RPM 4v engine or power adder car I'm sure the potential for damage would have been much higher.

Bill

Can't speak for greenbird but my Steeda crank pulley disentegrated on me at the NMRA Reynolds race in 2004. At the time the pulleys had been on the car for about 90k miles (car had 111k miles at the time). I made my second qualifying pass and the car felt sluggish and was running really rough. I got back to the pits to find the pulley wobbling really bad. Upon inspection the rubber guts of the pulley had litterally fallen apart. I got it pulled off the car and showed it to the guys at Steeda and they pretty much blew me off like no big deal. So having no choice I bought another set and borrowed tools to get it fixed before next round.

Was it isolated? Maybe as I haven't heard of many others having the same problem. Had I been racing a high RPM 4v engine or power adder car I'm sure the potential for damage would have been much higher.

Bill
I would think that may happen with any aftermarket part. Some are built to last...others...meh. My dad replaced his stock balancer on his Vette with the same issue you describe. The tech said he had never seen one break apart like that before.

d98gt and stevestang

I think you may be right...I don't think the pullies really are a cause for overheating issues...I know my car was a bitch in the summer and ran hot all the time so I attributed it partly to the pullies. I pulled them off and still had heating issues until my fan went bad and I replaced it. From what I gathered the design of the OEM fan was the reason my car tended to run hot and once I replaced it with a redesigned one my issues disappeared. My car run ALOT cooler than before.