Long time, no post

t_chelle16

Keeper of the closet key
Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Knob Noster, Mo.
Wow, it seems like forever since I last posted. Had a lot going on including a new job (factory work, but it pays really well for being as insanely easy as it is - 12hr mid shift kind of sucks, though) and potentially a new guy (sorry leg humpers).

I have actually gotten some work done on Murphy, but I've just kept forgetting to take pictures.

Since I replaced the engine, I've managed to also replace nearly everything under the hood (minus the radiator, p/s pump, and a few other minor things). On the plus side, most of it has a warranty now and the car runs pretty well. And within 2 days of starting my new job, it had already gotten around that I'm the girl with the hot mustang (one guy was actually asking around and hunted me down).

I've also managed to get the interior mostly done/color changed. It was originally about 7 different shades of turquoise and will now be black & grey.
I think I last posted about my floor pan rust patching/POR15ing. I also layed down new black carpet, painted the doors, dash, and inside quarter panels black, replaced all the dash panels (actually used a 68 dash bezel because I liked it better). And just for the time being, I painted the headliner black, but it's the crappy old torn headliner so I'll eventually replace it, but for now, it's at least black. I also just ordered some new seat upholstry (I found some that were exactly what I wanted and figured it was worth the convenience to not have to make them myself) and door panels. I'm getting the ones that are black with the grey faux carbon-fiber inserts and so I could get free shipping, I also ordered a new mirror bracket, coat hooks, and sun visor hardware. Some of the stuff is on backorder so who knows when I'll get it, though. :(

Before pics:
inside02.jpg

inside03.jpg

After pics:
interior01.jpg

interior02.jpg

interior03.jpg

I've also found a guy to paint it when I'm ready. He paints for a body shop for a living, but also does it on the side. He's really slow (will probably take about a year), but he does really good work for cheap. A friend of ours had his truck done. He had a ton of rust fixed (actual new metal, not just bondo) including the bed and the roof of the cab and painted and it cost him $2000. It's not show-quality, but unless you seriously examine the car, it looks damn good. It will probably be about a year before I can get it over there, but he's really excited about doing it and depending on my schedule at the time, I might even offer to help him out so I'll learn some too.

And lastly, Murphy has a new baby brother. Since I'm working about 12 miles from my house and Murphy only gets about 15 mpg and I was eventually going to need a car that's not 40 years old to use as a daily driver, I went ahead and got another car.

I went to the local Nissan dealership (dad used to work their so they're all like family and treat me really well). First, I test drove a 4 banger Nissan Sentra. Yeah, after driving Murphy, that 4-banger didn't go over very well. So I test drove a 2006 v6 Hyundai Sonata, fell in love, and bought it. It's 235hp and still gets around 25 - 27 mpg - not too shabby. The only thing I don't like about it is I can't hook my mp3 player up to the radio. Other than that, it's a fantastic little car.

cars.jpg

sonata03.jpg

sonata04.jpg

So that's basically what I've been up to lately.

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

I was wondering what happened to you just the other day. Good to hear from you. I'm glad you're making progress. I'm currently at a standstill on mine. (see "I will never be done with my car" thread)

geez Chelle, you've missed a lot girl. Chepie flipped out and bought a *gasp* GM product.....a 74 Hurst Olds, and i finshed my car, bought a 69 cougar for the next project and the stang is up for sale now :( so we can buy house of our own finally.

check out the link in my sig for pics of the finished product on my car.

good to see ya back chelle! I was beggining to wonder what happened? almost worried, I though maybe the curse of murphy caused some mishap or something :) Brians right, alot has gone down, Most notably (as brian said) is when dan forgot to take his medicine and he went into relapse and bought that olds thing... :D

ummm, errrrr.......

I might have had a teensy, tine-sy part in that...... Dan had mentioned something about a Hurst/Old's again; and I dropped a few pics of an 1970 W-31 Cutlass for sale here in Yuma.......

And then Dan gets all wigged out and ebay-bids himself (and Deanna's college fund) on a '74 Hurst/Olds that's probably 10-50 times more rusty than the "Yuma car" I showed him; and well...... ummmmmmmm....... yeah.

:shrug:

Yeah, I was kind of lurking a while back and saw the beginning of the Hurst/Old's thread.

My next fun project (actually 2 separate projects) is:
1) do my brakes. Rotors are warped and I'm down to the squeeler on the pads. So I'll probably get that done on my next weekend off (every-other weekend is a 3-day weekend). The fun thing is, the previous owner put disk brakes on front and I have absolutely no idea where they came from. I don't know if it was a kit, or if they came from something like a Granada or Maverick. So I'm just going to have to pull everything off, take it down to the parts store, and try to match it up. Fun.

2) I bought a new stereo so I'm going to actually wire it up the correct way (rather than just having the wires plugged into the fuse box) and I traded my engine stand for an amp and a Carver (at least I think it's Carver) sonic hologram generator from my dad.

Oh, and all you off-roading 4wd jeep guys will love Dad's new project. He currently has an 84 Jeep CJ7 with an I6 which doesn't run. He also has a 65 Dodge Monaco with a 383 big block. :D We just pulled the engine & tranny out of the Dodge and a guy is coming to get the body tomorrow. Dad has done some reading and pretty much everything says don't put that big block in that Jeep . . . so he's gonna put that big block in that Jeep. :D

-Chelle

post up some pics of the brakes and we can help you id them. the jeep project sounds fun, an old friend of mine had a cj-7 with the big jeep 401 motor...:D, it was fun.

say, do you still have those old mirrors from Murphy, the bullet ones i was wanting to buy from you? if you do still have them i'm ready to buy them from you for the cougar project. here's a pic of it BTW.

post up some pics of the brakes and we can help you id them. the jeep project sounds fun, an old friend of mine had a cj-7 with the big jeep 401 motor...:D, it was fun.

say, do you still have those old mirrors from Murphy, the bullet ones i was wanting to buy from you? if you do still have them i'm ready to buy them from you for the cougar project. here's a pic of it BTW.

Yeah, I think they're either in the bottom of my closet or in a cabinet in the garage. I'll see if I can dig them up some time. I'll PM you when I find them.

-Chelle

Oh, and all you off-roading 4wd jeep guys will love Dad's new project. He currently has an 84 Jeep CJ7 with an I6 which doesn't run. He also has a 65 Dodge Monaco with a 383 big block. :D We just pulled the engine & tranny out of the Dodge and a guy is coming to get the body tomorrow. Dad has done some reading and pretty much everything says don't put that big block in that Jeep . . . so he's gonna put that big block in that Jeep. :D

-Chelle

wow thats funny! Me and andrew were just thinking about getting a jeep project next year when we get into college. put something like a 350 in it :D I'd be interested to see how that project pans out. never know, I mightbe tearing into one sometime soon.

I'm not a vet . . . actually I'm not even using my degree. To get a job in my career field I'd pretty much have to move to a big city and I don't want that. And to do what I really want to do (lab tech), I'd have to go back to school and get another degree.

Right now I'm working for Enersys which is a factory that makes batteries. It's boring, repetitive work, but it pays incredibly well for how insanely easy it is. Right now, the position I'm in is the lowest paying of the production staff, but I'm thinking of 3 possibilities:
a) work my way up to pasting/lead prep which is the highest paying of the production staff
b) work my way into a machine tender/maintenance position which pays even better than any of the production staff
c) find out what I would need to do to be qualified for the on-site lab. I'd probably have to go back to school to get another degree, but they would pay for it.

In the mean time, I'm making decent money and will be able to get my own place and finally move out of my parents' house.

-Chelle

No, never planned on moving to California. My brother lives in northern Cal and we were going to visit him last October, but plans fell through so he and his girlfriend came here back in March instead.

I was thinking about joining the air force for a while and was liking the idea of getting stationed at McChord in Washington, but I ran into the same problem with having the wrong degree for the career field I wanted. Plus there's so much that I'm involved with around here and I have family/friends close by that I just decided to stay in Missouri.

-Chelle