Long Tube Header Question

MeanGreen

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2002
I did a search on here about LT Headers but I want more specific with my setup. What is a good brand and size ( 1 5/8" or 1 3/4") to go with and will net me the most power?
Here is a break down of my mods:
89' GT 5.0
306 C.I
Edelbrock Perf. Intake
Edelbrock Perf. Heads
E303 Cam
FMS 1.7 RR
BBK 70mm Throttle Body
C&L 73mm MAF
Stock 19# Inj.
BBK Cold Air
BBK Shorty Headers
PA Perf Hi Torque Mini Starter
PA Perf 130 Amp Alternator
March Underdrive Pullies
3:55 Gears
SLP Exhaust (On Order)

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

1 3/4 is a little big. that would be better for 351w or 351w based strokers. Go with the 1 5/8 inch header. As far as brand you really can't go wrong when you buy hooker. Mac is good but there are issue with warping and getting them back on once you have removed them after running them. BBK also has a good name.

I currently have BBK shortys on the car now but it's time to upgrade to some LT's since I have H/C/I .....

Yeah I ran Hooker's on my LS1 Trans Am a few years ago and was real impressed with them. Also heard some good things about Kooks but there pricey. About double the price of BBK so I dunno if that makes them worth it or not:shrug:

I just had some 1 5/8 BBK's installed. The mechanic said they were the best fitting headers he has ever done. He was expecting a lot of problems but had none. They touch my frame on the passenger side though, so i think i might have to get new motor mounts or shim them...