Long-tube Header

Shawneebear93

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 4, 2004
Salisbury Twp, Allentown, PA
Who on here has one?
Ive looked on Racer Walsh, which one's are you guys running, and how was the install?
I have a 2 1/2 cat and a muffler, tailpipe on order, and I'll have a connector pipe made when I take the Long-tube to have and O2 bung welded on (that helps with gas mileage, correct?)

Thanks again guys!

• Sponsors (?)

I have a Pacesetter long tube on my '90. Actually, as far as I know, pacesetter is the only company that makes one anymore. Motorsport used to make one but not anymore. I don't like the fact that the Pacesetter uses that stupid 2-bolt collector flange, but I adapted a standard 3-bolt flange to it because I got Dynomax collectors that had the O2 bungs in them already.

Anyway, installation isn't too bad, it's just kinda hard to get the header lined up exactly with the pipe. The header's easy to put in though, I think you can actually install it from the top (if I remember correctly) once you remove the old manifold and cut the cat pipe off to the right length.

I got my long tube from racer walsh (pacesetter). I can't get that damn 2 bolt flange to seal for crap :mad: .
As for installation, you will need an O2 bung welded on, the O2 wiring harness extended, the EGR deleted, and the exhaust re-routed. I had stinger bend up an intermediate pipe for me, and it has worked fine, so there is no reason an exhaust shop couldn't do the same for you.
The only other issue I had was with the auto tranny. The tranny shop said the header was to close to the servos on the tranny case, so I had to put a heat shield on to keep the warrenty.

I didn't even mess with that dumbass 2-bolt flange. I knew it probably wouldn't work for crap. Like I said I cut some notches in the flange to accomodate the 3-bolt reducer, and used an aluminum gasket. Much better.

Anyway, you gotta use the header for the 79-81 Mustang. A Pinto header wouldn't fit on a mustang.

Thanks for your help guys.

How do I delete the EGR and what are the pros/cons of this?

Where is the O2 bung welded on?

How is the exhaust re-routed?

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/headers_detail.htm#notes >>>Not legal for use on catalyst-equipped vehicles except for racing vehicles which may not be operated on a highway. Pre-catalyst vehicles must use original emission control devices. It is the responsibility of the customer to reinstall these devices on the vehicle.

thats typed under design notes, is this not 50 state legal??

tealtiger93 said:
Thanks for your help guys.

How do I delete the EGR and what are the pros/cons of this?
Unplugging the vacume line to the EGR, and plugging it up will prevent the EGR from opening up. Some people also like to unplug the connector, or even block it off with a plate.
Regaurdless of what you do, your computer will throw a couple codes for it and turn on the CEL if you have one. Your gas milage may decrease, but not by much.

When I blocked my EGR, all I did was remove the pipe that ran from the EGR to the manifold, and then I cut a metal plate out of tin and put that between the intake manifold and the EGR valve to block it off. Otherwise I just left it all hooked up. Haven't had a single problem or check engine light.

I just put a pacesetter long tube on my mustang a few months ago. I had a Ranger with the same header and spent two much time and money trying to keep the three bolt flange sealed. When I installed the LT on my mustang, I bought an exhaust flange called a buick ball, cutoff the lip off the end of the outlet flange, drilled a hole in the collector at about a 45 degree angle(pointing towards the drivers side) and had a muffler shop weld that on and the O2 sensor bung for $20. I made the O2 sensor bung by cutting a nut in half (don't recall what size it was). I used a female flare on the exhaust pipe going to the cat.
I did have one snag though, the header was rubbing against the chassis. It drove me nuts, so I pulled the header and beat on the chassis with a BFH bending it in about a 1/2". No more rubbing.

I would have bent the header primaries as necessary to move the collector away from the car.

Been there with hammering on the car so no offense intended. Had to take an air hammer to my dodge to fit the motor in with the wrong exhaust manifold, beat the firewall all up and punched holes in it. Exhaust pipe was still too close so I ended up fixing it right by putting the correct manifold on. I feel like I ruined the car so I don't encourage modifying the car to a part...

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. That picture is of the old Ford Motorsport header, but it's not in production anymore. They sell pacesetters now. They're the only company that still makes a long tube street header for the 2.3L, all others I know of are for dirt track racing or dune buggies.