Long Tube Headers Manufacturers

psychorugby

Sep 28, 2011
Tampa, FL
I've been searching/reading for hours and I can't quite find the answer I am looking for with regards to long tube headers for my 95 GT (convertible T-5).

I want quality long tubes for my car (without spending $1,000). I was duped by pictures into thinking that Bassani made long tubes for the SNs, but turns out the picture doesn't necessarily match the product and they only make equal lengths... shooting that wish down. I know BBK and MAC make long tubes, but I've seen some posts here and elsewhere that make me leery of the quality of those brands. Who else makes long tubes for SNs? I don't care about emissions (and will be deleting EGR most likely). I plan to run a Bassani or Magnaflow o/r X pipe and Magnaflow or Borla catback if that makes any difference.

Also, if I am lowered on H&R super sports, will I have clearance issues?

• Sponsors (?)

Your options are kinda limited. You can have Kooks do you up a set... thats about the only other name that comes to mind. Odds are you know the price of them. At one time I think Hooker may had made some as well. Never could get my hands on a pair.
My Mac LT's have been thru 4 different motors over 9 yrs and fit as well as the very first day. Mines a sunny day driver only so my original chrome coating held up really well. I sent mine out had a true ceramic coat done inside, out 3 yrs ago as they held up so well.
Mines lowered and they never hit, long as you some remember you have them on and exercise some caution.

Sadly, I do know what Kooks cost. I would consider them except I plan to run stock heads for while then go with AFRs. I got the impression that the Kooks are custom made for certain heads.

I can't seem to find 1.75" primaries/3.00" collectors in ceramic coat, only chrome. Do the chrome headers discolor easily?

I think those dudes will do up whatever your ask for. Chrome is gonna get that goldish heat tint/ bluing right by the heads, least mine did. I found nothing that would remove it as it gets pretty intense. Ceramic is the way to go... they always look nice.

I think those dudes will do up whatever your ask for. Chrome is gonna get that goldish heat tint/ bluing right by the heads, least mine did. I found nothing that would remove it as it gets pretty intense. Ceramic is the way to go... they always look nice.

You should see my ceramic long tubes on my 66 GT. They're chipped, peeling, and generally look like crap.

I'm going to do more looking today while bored at work. I found a video last night of a Fox with MAC long tubes, custom o/r X-pipe, and SLP Loudmouth 1 catback that absolutely sold me!

i have BBK ceramics and they are good quality. i'm not a perfect example because i have a fox bellhousing so i used fox headers, the fit on a SN is a pain. and there is absolutely no reason what so ever to run 1.75" primaries/3.00" collectors with stock heads. hell, even with a 408 i'd be hard pressed to recommend that unless your racing the car.

if your talking anything stock on the car with these then just get off the shelf BBK ones and call it day. they will work great.

i have BBK ceramics and they are good quality. i'm not a perfect example because i have a fox bellhousing so i used fox headers, the fit on a SN is a pain. and there is absolutely no reason what so ever to run 1.75" primaries/3.00" collectors with stock heads. hell, even with a 408 i'd be hard pressed to recommend that unless your racing the car.

if your talking anything stock on the car with these then just get off the shelf BBK ones and call it day. they will work great.

I would go the Fox T-5 bellhousing route since I am going to take all the EGR crap off... except I plan to take the T-56 out of my 66 GT and put it in the 95 GT. Not sure what issues I will run into there... and that may mean problems with long tubes as well. I guess there is a Fox bellhousing/clutch fork for the T-56 as well?

I won't have stock heads on it long, and may not throw the long tubes on until I do modify the motor. I could do the 1 5/8" collectors to 2 1/2" collector long tubes. I have to reign myself in from the bigger is better mentality sometimes. I can post my forthcoming (albeit incredibly slowly as this car always falls to the bottom of the priority/honey-do list) if that's helpful.

I had purchased like 4 exhaust systems for my 94 and when I switched to the 347 stroker I wanted quality long tubes. As you know our choices are limited. One thing's for sure I wanted ceramic coated headers. Had Stainless, had chrome, etc.

I purchased MAC 1-3/4" Ceramic Long Tubes with 3" Collector, MAC 3" Prochamber and MAC 3" Cat Back. I am very pleased with the quality, fitment and of course sound.

headers.jpg

I had purchased like 4 exhaust systems for my 94 and when I switched to the 347 stroker I wanted quality long tubes. As you know our choices are limited. One thing's for sure I wanted ceramic coated headers. Had Stainless, had chrome, etc.

I purchased MAC 1-3/4" Ceramic Long Tubes with 3" Collector, MAC 3" Prochamber and MAC 3" Cat Back. I am very pleased with the quality, fitment and of course sound.

Your posts have been what have convinced me to go with the MAC long tubes. I have just not been able to locate ceramic coated 1-3/4"/3" long tubes (only 1-5/8"/2-1/2"). I love the sound of your car, but I want a little more rasp/growl/racecar noise out of mine, like this one.

I assume that if I don't go with the Prochamber, that I would have to custom make or hack up an X-pipe?

The best fitting ones I have seen are the BBKs. I've seen a few cars with the Kooks headers, and they don't fit as well. They either come down too low, or they rub the steering shaft. The longtubes are no harder to put in on an SN, than they are on a Foxbody.

Kurt

I got long tubes on my 5.0 and my tuner told me they are not good for 95's because our 02 sensors are unheated and the headers move them further back from the engine. He said if they don't get to the right temp it will effect engine idle and mixture. He recommends shorties on the 5.0 SN95's.

I got long tubes on my 5.0 and my tuner told me they are not good for 95's because our 02 sensors are unheated and the headers move them further back from the engine. He said if they don't get to the right temp it will effect engine idle and mixture. He recommends shorties on the 5.0 SN95's.

The distance from the stock location to the collector on Long Tubes isn't that great which won't make much of a difference to disturb O2 temps. Many of us have rock solid idle with Long Tubes.

Seeing some articles now that say Fox long tubes fit with a T-56... is that correct? If that is the case, then I will wait on the long tubes for a while and just do the cat-back and o/r x-pipe.

Sounds correct, but I'm not positive. The SN longtubes are different due to the location of the clutch fork. If you put a Fox transmission, then Fox longtubes will work. SN longtubes will definately work either way.

SN O2s are heated. Some people have problems with the longtubes placing the O2s farther down stream, but it's not common.

Kurt

Sounds correct, but I'm not positive. The SN longtubes are different due to the location of the clutch fork. If you put a Fox transmission, then Fox longtubes will work. SN longtubes will definately work either way.

SN O2s are heated. Some people have problems with the longtubes placing the O2s farther down stream, but it's not common.

Kurt

It will be a long way off since everything in my life seems to come before this car. I checked the 66 (where the T-56 currently resides) to see where the clutch fork was and I think it is still at the 9 o'clock position anyway. I will probably hold off on getting long tubes until either the 18 year old cats clog up completely or I do the tranny swap.

headers.jpg

I'm impressed.. the ceramic coating on those looks really good.. My BBK's are dull and look like ass

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 208
The best fitting ones I have seen are the BBKs. I've seen a few cars with the Kooks headers, and they don't fit as well. They either come down too low, or they rub the steering shaft. The longtubes are no harder to put in on an SN, than they are on a Foxbody.

Kurt
I have BBK LT ceramic coated headers on my car and no issues they fit fine and no peeling or discoloring.