Exhaust Long Tubes And O/r X Pipe???

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by Ryan Timiney, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Hey guys I'm getting second thoughts about my exhaust setup laying here in bed and it's bothering me! So I have a few questions... I plan on getting Pace setter long tubes and the pace setter o/r shorty x pipe. My understanding is that a shop cannot cut my cats off (I have all stock exhaust) and install the o/r x pipe. How in the world am I going to get these installed? I have minimum experience, how hard of a job is it to install the x pipe myself? I live in Michigan with no emissions testing or anything. I want to just have my stock mufflers cut off and install the flowmaster super 10 series. Is all this possible? I don't even know what to do anymore and it's driving me insane! PLEASE HELP.

2. First off, understand that the exhaust on our cars come in 3 parts:

1. manifolds (headers)
    2. mid-pipe (which includes cats)
    3. cat-back (mufflers and tailpipes)

When you get rid of the stock mid-pipe, you also get rid of the cats. There is no need to "cut the cats off" because they are a part of the stock mid-pipe. The exhaust on these cars are completely "bolt-on". Just install the longtubes, have the shorty X bolted up to the LT's, and then bolt-up the stock cat-back to your shorty X.

As far as the mufflers, just have an exhaust shop chop out the stock mufflers and weld-in the Flows. Its easy as pie!

chriskarel likes this.
  3. Awesome thank you so much @Nightfire for the explanation that helps bunches! I heard long tubes are a pain... How much do you think those would be to get installed? This is such a reliever to hear! I was worried my whole exhaust setup was out the window for a while.

4. You may want to rethink getting pacesetter headers. I have no experience with them but when it comes to headers you definitely don't want to do it twice. I put flowtech headers on my car, because they were cheap. They leaked like crazy. Car sounded like a beat up Chevy truck. I ended up taking them back off and putting Mac ceramic coated headers and h pipe on. Also, invest in a good set of gaskets and stage 8 locking bolts. You definitely don't want to be chasing header bolts all the time .

USAFmustang95 likes this.
  5. I did a lot of research on these headers thinking the exact thing @sethahoward. But almost all the reviews were positive and said they did not leak at all and didn't have lose bolt issues. My friends 02 has a set of these and he's had them for 8 months with no issues! I think it's worth a shot and if it doesn't late shame on me for buying them!

6. Dude. Don't do flowmasters... they will drone and sound louder inside then outside.. trust me.. i used to have em... i switched from Flow 10s to 14x4 Magnapacks and a 3 inch catted H pipe.. Throaty... tame cruising.. Deep idle.. and AMAZING WOT... X pipe will also sound nice with magnapacks... Sound is subjective.. but most people i know that had Flow 10 series now have Magnapacks.. Go figure.