Long tubes and oil consumption on 4v's

i've read some people say the MAC longtubes cause oil comsumption, and i have witnessed a friend of mine who had put longtubes on his 96 mystic and it burned oil so bad it looked like it was on fire when he drove it......

do all long tubes on cobras cause this, or just the MAC's, or what exactly is the problem? cause the only header worth having is longtubes, IMO.......

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a link to a recent thread started by Nazman:

Click me for MAC L/T Clear Coat header thread

A couple of the replies in the above thread briefly touch on the problem with MAC's 4V longtubes
(*note that CC = Clear Coat, seems these are a new "model" of longtube headers). I am not sure if the newer L/T clearcoated headers have been causing any problems...

In a nutshell, it seemed that MAC's longtube headers for 4v engines were subject to poor quality control, leaving the factory w/ excess welding slag material inside the pipes. Once installed, the engine would "suck" back in some of this slag, proceed to damage the engine, causing massive oil consumption issues.

Solution? Rebuild. Not fun. Removing the headers and cleaning them after the damage has been done does not stop the oil consumption either.

It has happened to quite a few people & MAC was not very receptive (generally speaking) to customers' complaints. It's safe to say that many are unhappy with MAC's customer service regarding this issue.

Now, cleaning up a new set of headers from the inside & out is even more important (probably a good idea for ANY set of aftermarket headers, just in case).
Live and learn... :cheers:

For the complete story, you need to check out the very lengthy thread over on the Corral msg board explaining the entire debacle of MAC's longtube headers for four-valve engines.
However, the Corral.net is temporarily down while they are upgrading. When the their forums are back up, run a search for "drinking" (thread started by user beefcake was entitled "MAC L/Ts drinking oil" or similar, believe it was located in the DOHC/SVT modular tech forum).

Also, some don't have scarring from excess slag, but still do have the smoke screen problem. Some people say the cheap Mac coating gets sucked up and ruins the finish of the cylinder walls as well.

I think MAC stands for MUSTANG ACCESSORY CRAP!! I have heard this a number of times. Spend more money and buy the BBK's. Almost everyone and their brother has them, including me and they added killer power, great sound and good quality. I love mine, but remeber they have to come off to drop a trans or do a clutch job..well same thing I guess..

bullittmcqueen said:
thanks for the informative link....i will *NOT* be ordering anything from MAC........guess i'll go with BBk's...........where are you guys buying from?
Don't forget there are other good headers out there that are competitive with the BBK gains.
Hooker makesa set that will give you good gains and won't need to come out with a clutch change.
The JBA setups and the Bassani setup will also allow you to keep them in the car during a clutch swap and I think the SHMs will also allow you to keep them installed.

gee:
I wonder why long tubes & some short tube headers,no matter What Brand on certain engines use oil & some don't ?? Why did Ford not make Cobra's in 2002 ?? Where i work people in the install department say 2003 Cobra's don't have issue's with any long tube headers or t/bodies,air systems,
h-pipes,xpipes,or prochambers! How many recalls did ford have on 4v motors on Cobra's before 2003 models? Bad intakes,did not make advertized H.P.
why different EGR's on mod motor,s? Does Mac get the blame because thier perceived to be the largest and have more exhaust on cobra's? Our installers say all brands have the same problems on certain engines!
Could it be a ford egr,valve seals,rings etc. Or all the aftermarket exhaust companies? Who really knows why, everyone has a opinion and none of us are sure we are right.Only thing if we choose to mod our Pre 2003 cars we should check,condition of bore,valve seals,clean parts before install,EGR's etc,leak down test! Yes even bore scope. Lets face the facts up till 2003 4v motors are not what we expected,from H.P. to weird problems.Yes Ford Did Warranty Valve seals,
pistons & even complete Motors!! Again none of us know for sure why! ps I sold my 98 Cobra with out any mod's and it used 1qt every 400 miles.I still own 3 Mustangs & a Lightning,no pre 2003 cobra again.

DaMessenger said:
gee:
I wonder why long tubes & some short tube headers,no matter What Brand on certain engines use oil & some don't ?? Why did Ford not make Cobra's in 2002 ?? Where i work people in the install department say 2003 Cobra's don't have issue's with any long tube headers or t/bodies,air systems,
h-pipes,xpipes,or prochambers! How many recalls did ford have on 4v motors on Cobra's before 2003 models? Bad intakes,did not make advertized H.P.
why different EGR's on mod motor,s? Does Mac get the blame because thier perceived to be the largest and have more exhaust on cobra's? Our installers say all brands have the same problems on certain engines!
Could it be a ford egr,valve seals,rings etc. Or all the aftermarket exhaust companies? Who really knows why, everyone has a opinion and none of us are sure we are right.Only thing if we choose to mod our Pre 2003 cars we should check,condition of bore,valve seals,clean parts before install,EGR's etc,leak down test! Yes even bore scope. Lets face the facts up till 2003 4v motors are not what we expected,from H.P. to weird problems.Yes Ford Did Warranty Valve seals,
pistons & even complete Motors!! Again none of us know for sure why! ps I sold my 98 Cobra with out any mod's and it used 1qt every 400 miles.I still own 3 Mustangs & a Lightning,no pre 2003 cobra again.

You post was the most incoherrient list of babble i have seen here in a long time.
Theirs nothing wrong at all with the 4v Mod motors and your 1qt of oil every 400 miles is an exception to the motors history NOT the norm. 90% of all your examples were complete BS. Bringing up the 99 Cobra issue was a complete joke.
Why no 2002 model?
Well Duh because the released the 03 Model in freaking MAY of 2002. It would have been a waste and would have been stupid for Ford to launch a 2002 car.
Mac parts are junk.
We all know it and we have all delt with them.
I have a H pipe and it's crap.

BBK headers

If you go with BBk long tube headers be sure to spend a little more and get the enamled headers. I have heard of people with chrome finish having rusting problems as well as some other heat issues. I haven't had any problems with mine and they are enamled. And they sound HOT!

P.S. have fun putting them on. If you want some tips on installing i'd be glad to share what I found

AzSnake said:
You post was the most incoherrient list of babble i have seen here in a long time.....
Mac parts are junk.
We all know it and we have all delt with them.
I have a H pipe and it's crap.

Don't be too hard on DaMessenger! He's an AVID MAC supporter! I would think that's a pretty elite group 'cause there aren't a lot of members! Check out all the posts ever made by DaMessenger, 95% are all PRO MAC product related (really!). He won't admit it, but I think he either works for them, or someone he knows works for them....

U.M.

DaMessenger said:
gee:

Dude, punctuation and sentence structure are your friends. They don't mind being used. Do you work for MAC or just swing from the 2003/2004 Cobra? They had problems, too, so don't start on the whole 2003/2004 are the latest and greatest cobra's EVAR point. Sounds like you got a bad apple with your '98. Maybe your muffler bearings weren't packed tight enough :rolleyes: