Long tubes or Tri-Y's

I need to change my old, beat up and hammered on headers for my up coming AOD swap. I have always liked the Tri-Y's but they only come in 1-1/2 primary and 2-1/2 collector. I would prefer the ones with 1-5/8 w/ 3" collector but those are $500+. Would I notice a difference between the smaller Tri-Y's over bigger, conventional long tubes? My current headers are 1-1/2 primary w/3" collectors. What is recommended for a combo soon to make about 350hp on a $300 budget? I am trying to keep my scavenging to a max.

My exhaust will be 2-1/2 w/an x pipe with the round Magnaflow's out the back.

• Sponsors (?)

I've run both std tri-y's and Hedman long tubes (these are the std midsize Ford headers for Mavs, Stangs, etc) on my 331 and cannot tell the difference. The powerband ends at the same rpm level with both.........about 6500. The tri-ys would be fine with a 350 hp motor. My 331 puts out far more than that.

If the AOD is a big bellhousing transmission with the larger flywheel then the Tri-Ys are not going to fit. They hug the tranny too closely and end up into the bellhousing. I think they only fit 157 toothed flywheel transmissions. If the AOD uses the smaller, older style, bellhousing then you should be fine.

I've run both, and I can tell you that tri-y's are so much easier to live with. They are easier to install and work around, they have much better ground clearance and I seriously doubt you'd see any horsepower loss on the street. My car is low, yet the headers don't drag, a buddy has a stock-height '66 coupe and long tubes, and his headers hang way below the subframe rail, so if the car were any lower, it would be a problem. As it is, they just loof goofy hanging down.

I picked up a pair of MAC longtubes and will be installing an AOD, however I haven't done a test fit on the motor/trans as a combo but plan to before I install. The MAC's were the only ones I found listed that would fit my PS car for a reasonalby amount ($150 plain-$350 ceramic). From pics I've seen they don't hang down either, I think they tuck like the hedmans but don't require the drop bracket for me, I see you have R&P so that's different.
Jon

JonK - MACs & PS bracket

Jon,
You mention the MAC's don't require a PS drop bracket - I'm wondering where you got that info. I've been looking for a set to use w/o a drop bracket and if the MAC's really clear, I'll probably get a set. What part number are you running?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew, here's the part #'s, I picked up a pair of used unpainted off fleabay, had them blasted and painted them with VHT ceramic silver for ~$120 toether. I wish I would have bought a pair of newly ceramic coated for ~$350 as I see they've gone up in price.
http://www.macperformance.com/store/category.cfm?SID=3&Category_ID=347

I don't know why MAC doesn't advertise the PS clearance but other sites do:
Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories
It used to say it on AMPperformance or a similar site but can't find the link right now.
Jon