Looking at a 2003 Mustang Mach 1 what to look for when looking at it?

62thunderbird

Jul 2, 2008
Nor Cal
Hey guys well I found a 2003 Mach 1 torch red and it is 14 grand with 5 spd and it looks like it the photos that it has been messed with. Did these Mach 1 come with a strut tower brace? And was there an option in shifter knobs? What can I look for to make sure it is a true mach 1. Where are the numbers on the block to see if it is original? It has claimed 33,000 miles. Should I buy it? Is this a good deal? i know these cars have some good value. If I get it I want it to be perfect because this is a car I would never sell. I am looking at it tommorow. I will tade my 97GT in to help pay for it.

• Sponsors (?)

15 grand and 33k. I'd go for it. as long as it checks out. If you really like it take it to a trusted shop and have it looked over spending a little cash on a quality inspection will be worth it because it will help you make a sound decisssion. and i doubt someone would go through all that trouble to clone a mach1 its more then likely real.

Cool thanks. My dad is really picky on having everything original. One thing is that it does not have the aluminum shifter ball. I would go for it. It is at a dealer a small dealer. I would trade my 97GT in I would hope he would give me 6k for my 97. and I will make the monthly payments. Could I knock the price down because it is missing the original shifter ball? and that it is modified a little?

Your not gona be able to nock down the price because the shifter ball isnt original. Your gona have a hard time getting 6k for your car i'll bet he offers you 3 something maybe 4. if you own your 97 outright i would just finance the mach staight up and sell the 97 yourself so you can make more money on it. I also highly reccomend getting a blank check from a bank or credit union. this way you have all the power because your not asking the dealer to do anything for you except draw up the paperwork and sell you the car. it allows you to talk him down. I bet i could get that car for 14k or less with a blank check. I talked the dealer i bought my gt from down 2.5k.

thats the same car man. :rlaugh: for sale in roseville/sac area right?

its yours! im not in the right financial state to buy it right now anyways.
I've been wondering why that car hasnt sold though... i've been watching it for 2 weeks now, and at a price like that, i was sure someone would jump on it fast :scratch:

I called and spoke with the manager....that dealer seemed really sketchy and the car seems like it has had a lot more mods on it before that were recently removed. It still has an aftermarket intake on it also. I've been wondering why the guy marked the price so much lower than all the other machs in Cali ...By the way, He only wanted to give me $7k for my car with 48k miles on it so i doubt you'll get anywhere near 6k :(

Just a word of warning....be carefull with the machs. Inspect the car VERY closely... most i've seen at the **small** dealers in cali have been in some nasty wrecks. Most people dont give their mach 1's up at 33k miles.....notice all the other machs for sale in NorCal have around 55k - 80k miles? i've seen some where the car fax showed nothing, but every body piece on the front half of the car was shifted to one side. Check the undercarriage very carefully.

If nothings wrong with this one though, its a steal!!!!

Machs did not come with the tower brace.The 03's came with 32valve V8 on the valve covers,and for 03 they are Black Valve covers,04's had aluminum color covers.They came with retro seats with a silver stripe across the the upper half of the seat.The did come with alum shifter ball but the one in mine was pitted badly so I just got a 35th anni billit knob.They come stock with Tokico Shocks/struts,sit half inch lower than GT's.Come with factory shifters...not a short throw.I belive the 03 are rated at 305hp 320tq.

Hope that info helps,if you wanna see pics,click mycardomain link in sig,mine is stock and you can find more info at mach1registry.com.I say go for it with that price tho,thats better than mine was,I paid $16,800 in april with around 45k on the clock,but as it would happed they are dropping in price since I got mine.:rolleyes:

Also the c pillars are diff,like on the bullitts.THey have 13"rotors and dual piston calipers.But maintance is lil more $$.Premium Fuel only,$30 pcv valves,6.5 quarts of oil just to name a few.

Thanks guys, So now my dad is a little worried now but you made a great point. You do not see a 03 mach go for that cheap with out having something wrong with it. So you said that it had more mods do you know what kinds? So folsom lake Ford would be good I know they are a bit pricey but I think it would be worth it they are a great dealer. Would the dealer the car is at do you think he would take it to the dealer for us to inspect?

The car went through auction too. Is that a bad thing?

Maybe maybe not.I used to have a bud here that sold sports and classics and all were bought from auction....vettes,stangs,jags...you name it and he got some really nice rides from auctions with no problems.Now some dealerships will sell cars in auctions that they would not sell on their lots.Ex:too much money to get them to pass their insppection to make ready to sell on the lot.Most dealers are only willing to drop about $2k to get them lot ready and most want a clean title.

I say get the vin and run a carfax,thats worth the $20 to feel a lil safer about it.I dunno about your laws but in Tx its law that they tell you if the title isnt clean.Most dealers here will run a carfax if you request it.

Hey guys well I found a 2003 Mach 1 torch red and it is 14 grand with 5 spd and it looks like it the photos that it has been messed with. Did these Mach 1 come with a strut tower brace? And was there an option in shifter knobs? What can I look for to make sure it is a true mach 1. Where are the numbers on the block to see if it is original? It has claimed 33,000 miles. Should I buy it? Is this a good deal? i know these cars have some good value. If I get it I want it to be perfect because this is a car I would never sell. I am looking at it tommorow. I will tade my 97GT in to help pay for it.

tires
wheels
oil in the engine
gas in the gas tank
starter
alternator
engine

the usual...you know....:rlaugh:

j/k man.

Thanks guys, So now my dad is a little worried now but you made a great point. You do not see a 03 mach go for that cheap with out having something wrong with it. So you said that it had more mods do you know what kinds? So folsom lake Ford would be good I know they are a bit pricey but I think it would be worth it they are a great dealer. Would the dealer the car is at do you think he would take it to the dealer for us to inspect?

if the guy really wants to sell that car too you he wont have one single problem with you wanting to take it to a dealer for a complete inspection. make sure YOU run a carfax on it too. dont just take the one he gives you because it could be old or false. when something happens to your car it can take up to a year for it to show up on carfax. if the guy doesnt want you to take it to the dealership for a insp walk the hell away. folsom lake fords techs are top notch. they fixed a problem with my stang that 4 other shops couldnt even find.

Just check the VIN. The 8th spot in the VIN will be an "R". If their's no "R" in the 8th spot, it's bogus. A dealership selling a Mach for that cheap? Sounds fishy to me. Most private owners would be selling that Mach for $16K right now. Get someone to go over that Mach with a microscope. Their have been instances of dealerships selling salvage vehicles and never telling the buyer. Then when they get the title years later it says "Salvage" on it.