Looking at motor what do you think?

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
For my 1966 project currently ran accross 289 Stroker motor I'm considering buying from someone that had a project and motor rebuilt and stroked but lost interest and sold the car and is looking to sell motor. No miles on rebuild. They are asking $4000. Interested in opinions on set up especially the cam. Not looking for anything too agressive. Good idle - slight lope ok but nothing radical. Will be going in a 66 vert, c4, trac-loc 3.25 gears. It has roller rockers and lifters the cam is a retrofit hydraulic. Intereste in any opinions. thanks

Engine Main Specs:
1966 Ford Mustang V8 289 CID engine rebuilt, bored and stroked to 348.7 CID
Bore: 4.040
Stroke: 3.400
Rod length: 5.400
Compression Ratio: 10.2 : 1
Edelbrock Performer RPM Ford Aluminum Cylinder Heads Model # 60259 (complete with 2.02" valves and springs)
-Edelbrock Performer Series Carb 600 CFM Model # 1406
-Comp Cams Camshaft Model 31-442-8 Custom Grind (ask for details)
-Comp Cams roller lifters and roller rockers
-all ARP Fasteners
-Mahle Pistons and rods
cam_zpscfe72d0f.jpg

engine_zps0dc7d9c6.jpg

Attachments

• cam_zpscfe72d0f.jpg
    cam_zpscfe72d0f.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 94
  • engine_zps0dc7d9c6.jpg
    engine_zps0dc7d9c6.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 92
  • Sponsors (?)

i would want to know more details on the parts. (also haven't seen people running a mahle rod before). also i would want to know what machine work was performed and who did the assembly. too many people who don't know what they're doing bolting a bunch of parts together.

i would want to know more details on the parts. (also haven't seen people running a mahle rod before). also i would want to know what machine work was performed and who did the assembly. too many people who don't know what they're doing bolting a bunch of parts together.

Asking for the name of the builder now. Here is the work order he provided
engineservice_zpsd8997a65.jpg

Attachments

• engineservice_zpsd8997a65.jpg
    engineservice_zpsd8997a65.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 87
What stall speed torque converter do you have? I think your car will be under geared for that cam. I had one of these:
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=879&sb=2
in my 69 Cougar, with a 351W. With a 3K stall TC, and a 3.89 gear, I found it to be a very good performing camshaft. Great throttle response, and really good power. However, with the 3. 89 gear, my freeway days were over.
The cam card for the one you are looking at recommends at least a 3.40 gear, and 4 speed (well, manual) transmission.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=817&sb=2

I have the XE 274h in my 302 347 in my 1970. I like it a lot. Running 3.44 gears with auto in that one and I like them not too bad on highway. Have a 2800 stall.

For this build still piecing the car together. Basically starting with a shell. Bought all the suspension items first.Was looking for something a little milder. Was planning on going ford 306 - hense the 3.25 gears. I was thinking I would use a 2400 stall with this motor.

Any idea on how I would compare the streetability between the 2 cams?

I Know my 68, with the 3.50 rear gear just pulls longer. If you are OK with the way the 3.44 gear drives then this will probably be "OK" for you...I think you would be happier with a steeper gear, but then maybe not.....

I ended up low balling the seller. Motor was not exactly what I was planning to do. I doubt he will go for the $3k I offered but it has to be a little difficult privately selling a motor. We will see. Thanks for the posts.

Times are tough all over, you might be surprised. I had a heck of a deal on a fresh 289 a few years ago, for only 900 dollars. I didn't buy it, only because there were NO papers at all with the engine. No cam specs, no overbore, nothing. I see a lot of good stuff sitting a lot longer these days....

It looks by the invoice he did it right. I would be a little nervous about all that in the 289 block, they are a little thinner than the 5.0 blocks. That is a 1 & done, anything happens you are starting over with a new block. I am not a big fan of Eagle stuff (that is your esp kit). I have too many friends who have blown up with eagle parts. Their quality is just not there. If you can get it for $4k, that would be an ok deal, if he takes your low-ball even better. I'm building a 5.0 based 331 with scat/probe forged rotating ass'y, trick flow top end, and I've got $6.5k in it intakes to oil pan.