Looking for a new daily driver...

Quikstang

Founding Member
Mar 9, 2000
Orlando FL
Well today I went out to go find me a new daily driver. I am leaning toward a nice F150 Quad Cab, but have not made it out to greenway to see what they run yet. I previously had a pretty nice Audi A4 and a Saturn that got SICK gas mileage, so I need something comfortable and good on gas. I went and test drove an 02 Jack Roushe Stage 1 today. The car was gorgeous, 20 inch bullit rims, True Blue mattalic paint job, 5 speed. But I really cant justify having 2 mustangs.. And I am DEF not getting rid of "Quik" lol. Regardless, that was the first 4.6 2 valve car I have driven, and i was totally unimpressed. I guess there really is not much of a point to this post, Just a random rant... Going to Greenway Ford tommorow to Peep the new trucks.. If i find something, i'll post pics. ;-)

• Sponsors (?)

Lol.. I know.. I can only justify it for the fact, that I always need a truck for something, weather its going to pick up crap from home depot, or other random junk... I really like the Quad Cab F150 lariats... Black chrome edition on a nice set of 22's... I could Live in that.. Lol

yea, it was a nice car, but it was just a lease, and the buyout was not worth it. So I bought a cheap car, that I thought I could be happy with, but you see how long that lasted.. Lol.. Audi to a Saturn.. Dont even ask...Saturns are notorious for timing chain failure... i guess I was welcomed to the club.. F'n GM cars Lol

Eh yes and no.. Fortunately I work about 20 miles one way, but its all highway miles. I just really like the ford trucks, I dont know what I want right now.. Lol. I have been driving the mustang to and from work for about a week now, it has not been my Daily Driver for at least 5 years.. And trust me.. that got old REALLY fast.. Lol, I just want something quiet with Leather, and comfortable enough for a nice night out on the town with my girl, and able to relax after a long day at the office. I'm not too picky.

some comfy but sporty and somewhat economical cars i can think of off the top of my head when im this tired

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan
Ford 500 (Taurus next year)/Mercury Montego (Sable next year)
Chevy Impala
Chevy Monte Carlo
Chrysler Sebring
Chrysler 300
Dodge Charger
Toyota Camry SE (269hp V6)
Toyota Avalon
Nissan Altima
Nissan Maxima
Honda Accord

Trucks, theres the usual F150, Silverado and Dodge Ram, but the new Toyota Tundra CrewMax...even though its UGLY to me, is available with the 381hp 5.7L V8...14 second 4x4 pickup...

A guy at work just bought an 01 F150 quad cab short bed 4x4 5.4L auto w/ 120k for $9000 just to give you an idea.

Chevy trucks usually hold more value. My 98 Silverado X cab short wide bed, 5.7L auto 4x4 w/ 128k was $9500 (book value and that's what I paid April 06).

Another guy at work just got a 99 x cab Z71 w/ 127k for $8000 private party.

Fullsize trucks are horrible on gas, I just traded in my 05 tundra double cab last month for my lexus. It was great truck, not single problem since I bought it brand new. But it loved gas and it was pretty much a waste for what I was doing with it. I don't need a truck for work, I don't tow anything, about all I hauled in it was car parts, new stove, and stuff for around the yard.

Just something to think about when you are buying a fullsize truck, do you really need one. If you want a truck may want to look in midsize, the tacoma double cab is pretty nice and gets decent gas mileage.

ranger FTW

IMG_0220.jpg

I'd rock a 4-banger 2WD Ranger anyday. Throw on a tonneau cover of some sort, lower it just a tad (nothing ghetto crazy), and drive the snot out of it. Cheap, handy, and reliable transportation, for sure. And hey ... even though it's a Mazda B2200 clone, it's still technically a Ford. :nice:

Wish I could find one at a decent price, but anything with the word "truck" or "pickup" associated with it down here seems to be priced as though it's gold-plated. Apparently, a lot of sand-duners like to mod them out kinda like the one shown above, then take 'em out to the sands south of here and romp the hell out of 'em.

RANGER FTW x2!

gets anywhere from 16-18mpg around here (sorta equal to city/highway mix) with 4.0 OHV, 5-speed and 3.73's

i was kinda wondering about that, was thinking not too long ago about trading in my truck for one of those (fx4 though). then i realized that id be lucky to get a grand for mine, so id be better off just holding on to it and fixing the body up. and then the trans in the stang blew up, so thats not going to happen for a while either. seems that every time i get the idea to fix up the truck, something on the stang dies.