looking for a new exhaust set-up

Jhunter

Aug 16, 2011
First of all, yes I have used the search and I didn't find what I was looking for there.

Second, go ahead and get the newbie jokes out of your system.

Third, this is my first mustang. So yes I have been reading and searching here and other forums as well.

Now what I have is 2002 GT I got off an older lady with 44000 miles on it. Automatic and bone stock. I am starting with CAI and exhaust. Since this is 2011 I am sure there is a preferred combination of catted X midpipe and exhaust system by now. I like the deeper sounds but I don't want it too loud inside the car. Now if you have suggestions or opinions please post.

I have also listened to some sound bites on youtube and still can't decide anything.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you interested in a chambered or straight-through muffler? Catted or cat less? X-pipe or H-pipe?

I run a full MAC exhaust. Cat-less prochamber H-pipe and chambered MAC flowpath mufflers.

Pros: sounds amazing (very deep/rumble tone) and get compliments almost daily
Cons: irritating drone and noticeable interior resonance around 2Krpm

I used to run a cat-less MAC H-pipe (not the prochamber) with the same MAC mufflers:

MAC exhaust - YouTube

Welcome to the site and congrats on the new car, 44,000 miles is really good for a 1999-2004 GT!

First off it all depends on what you want like Nightfire stated, once you decide which mufflers and midpipe combo to go with then we can help a little more...

For me I have a UPR o/r X pipe with Flowmaster 40's, yes it sounds like every Mustang out there but I love the sound... At 2,000rpms the resonance is really bad but I love that sound so you either love it or hate it...

H pipes give your car a more muscle car sound and X pipes give it more of a raspy exotic sound imo...

Heres my setup if you wish to hear it...

2003 Mustang UPR X pipe - YouTube

I am thinking the catted X pipe and probably the straight thru muffler setup. I just want a free flow exhaust that has a deep sound.

My buddy Jerry has a comp orange GT that he put Spintech Pro Shootout's on and it sounds pretty amazing. It's prolly the deepest sounding mufflers on an X pipe that I have heard.

I love Spintech's. I have an O/R X pipe, and spintech super prostreet's on mine. It is ridiculously loud.

A muffler that is very deep is Magnaflows. I had a set on a prochamber and I loved the way it sounded also. They are decently loud outside the car when you get on it, but are always quiet inside the car. They also have 0 drone inside the car.

i've had bassani xpipe, mac pro chamber and slp all with flowmaster mufflers.

bassani=loud and raspy
prochamber=nice deep rumble, good sound
slp=deep rumble, good sound

the only difference between the setups is i have slp longtube headers with the slp pipe.

for sound, i think the prochamber was the best of the 3 and it is a little cheaper than bassani and slp.