Looking for a short

I know this thread is about as exciting as a Chinese truck, but :

My dome light is inoperable, and the fuse blows as soon as I install it. So, I have a short. I pulled the door panel, and looked at the little door switch, and the wires still had their cladding , and no shorts to sheet metal visible. The wires lead to a rubber conduit at the front of the door - no breaches visible there either.

Is there another common place I can look ? The connectors to the GEM box under the driver's side dash look clean and tight as well. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

check to see if fuse blows with bulb removed first.......sun visors have lites also tied into dome lite,,,next pull connector c201 from GEM and try a fuse again,,

Thanks for the info and the diagrams.

I pulled the dome light bulb , installed a new fuse and the fuse blew immediately (white light and pop). My visors dont have lights - pulled driver's side visor to make sure. Pulled C201c ; fuse didn't blow ; replugged C201c and fuse pops immediately. Also tried looking around trunk 3rd light area (since it is on the courtesy light circuit) no shorts visible, and I remember the trunk light quit working a while back (as in years).

Looks like the power window stuff and door locks are also in circuit to that GEM connector C201c, so I'll need to pull the door panel and re-check all the wires inside the door. Aargh.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info and the diagrams.

I pulled the dome light bulb , installed a new fuse and the fuse blew immediately (white light and pop). My visors dont have lights - pulled driver's side visor to make sure. Pulled C201c ; fuse didn't blow ; replugged C201c and fuse pops immediately. Also tried looking around trunk 3rd light area (since it is on the courtesy light circuit) no shorts visible, and I remember the trunk light quit working a while back (as in years).

Looks like the power window stuff and door locks are also in circuit to that GEM connector C201c, so I'll need to pull the door panel and re-check all the wires inside the door. Aargh.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the additional diagrams, hotcobra3.

I removed the panel on the driver's side door today, and inspected all the wiring for breakage and shorts.

The wires are tightly wrapped and secured to the inner door panel so that the wires don't rub and chafe against the sheet metal.The power window motor had a sleeve on the two wires leading out of the sheet metal to a connector. It was undamaged as well. I disconnected the the two connectors to the door switch (which is in the courtesy light circuit and door lock circuit). Put in another fuse, and it blew right away. The rubber conduit leading from the front door edge is tight and dry with no breaches.

Next step is disassembly of the 3rd brakelight . I'll remove the passenger side door panel if I don't find any shorts in the wires for that circuit.

short

hey slow down and go piece by piece...you pulled connector C201 and fuse didnt blow...thats good,,,C201c,,,, a,b,d,e, are other things ,,stick with just C201c. that goes to door ,trunck lite,intierior light....look at pics,,,C212/237 is the plug for the harness going into the door,,pulling that would have saved you from pulling the door panels,,pull them one at a time to see difference,,break it down..

that is the 1 that keeps blowing?power windows work? pin 14 on C201c,power window

Power windows work fine .

I am following your suggestion and sticking to the circuits on C201c. Looks as if the short is in the courtesy light circuit, pin 3 or pin 4 on that connector, since all the other (locks,windows, etc, work). Fuse 7, (GEM, interior lamps) is the fuse that keeps blowing. I'll trace that light green/olive green wire. That black/white wire is for switched power according to the C201c diagram.

Only clues so far : Brake third light was replaced about 4 years ago (now it is part#XR33 3AG 3AA), and I replaced the multi-function switch a few years back, too.I went through the third brake light just now to check all the wires/connectors - they are OK.

Thanks for your help.

Well, the upside of this is being able to go through the car circuit by circuit.

The main ground in the front of the trunk compartment (behind the "trunk liner") - nice and clean and functioning.

I disassembled the instrument panel to have a look at the light switch (in circuit). Fine. Removed the driver's side kick panel to have a look at the connectors behind - they are fine .

Disassembled dome light and connections (again !) no difference.

Connector C201 is still disconnected, and fuse #7 is unbroken.

Dead short in circuit #705 - still working, and looking for shorts. Connector maps are a big help.

Thanks.

hey it gets easy from here....stop,,,unplug all of your out put wires(connector for left door,right door,courtesy ,and trunk lite )than plug in c201c and see if fuse blows?if the fuse blows than we go from thier,with finding short in harness......if fuse doesnt blow thats even easier,,start to plug in connectors one by one till fuse blows,,than thats the harness to hunt for short

hey it gets easy from here....stop,,,unplug all of your out put wires(connector for left door,right door,courtesy ,and trunk lite )than plug in c201c and see if fuse blows?if the fuse blows than we go from thier,with finding short in harness......if fuse doesnt blow thats even easier,,start to plug in connectors one by one till fuse blows,,than thats the harness to hunt for short

Yep, you are right as rain.

Disconnected the trunk light and trunk solenoid connector - fuse still blew.

Disconnected connector closest to the rear (from driver's perspective) inside the driver's kick panel and fuse still blew. Two connectors to go, and one fuse left, LOL. Still chugging and determined to find this short...

ok?

Yep, you are right as rain.

Disconnected the trunk light and trunk solenoid connector - fuse still blew.

Disconnected connector closest to the rear (from driver's perspective) inside the driver's kick panel and fuse still blew. Two connectors to go, and one fuse left, LOL. Still chugging and determined to find this short...

sounds like you did that backwards...pull all plugs apart first.than plug in 201c and 201c only,,,and see if fuse blows,,,that is the first harness and runs thru car,,,from those results,is next step..(should be 1 fuse to loose thier)if your lucky it didnt blow,,,than plug in 1 at a time the plugs you pulled apart,,1 of those will be bad

sounds like you did that backwards...pull all plugs apart first.than plug in 201c and 201c only,,,and see if fuse blows,,,that is the first harness and runs thru car,,,from those results,is next step..(should be 1 fuse to loose thier)if your lucky it didnt blow,,,than plug in 1 at a time the plugs you pulled apart,,1 of those will be bad

Pulled all plugs from GEM ; plugged in 201c only; inserted new fuse, and "popped" the fuse.

From the 201c connector drawing, there's got to be a short in the courtesy light circuit , or the "door ajar" circuit , since the door locks and power window were working . Thinking out loud...

Thanks.

Pulled all plugs from GEM ; plugged in 201c only; inserted new fuse, and "popped" the fuse.

From the 201c connector drawing, there's got to be a short in the courtesy light circuit , or the "door ajar" circuit , since the door locks and power window were working . Thinking out loud...

Thanks.

Posted via Mobile Deviceon gem you already isolated it to C201c.if you pull all the connectors in that harness and just plug back 201c that will be next step to isolate short.

98% perspiration, 2% inspiration

. Disconnected C201c. Unplugged connectors behind the kick panels, one-by-one, then reconnected C201c after each kick panel connector was disconnected, then moved on to the next connector, etc. Fuse #7 still blew, everytime.

Removed the A-pillar molding, and found the wires (wrapped tightly) that lead up into the headliner going eventually to the dome light. Inspected the wires/wrap carefully, and saw no evidence of chafing or any breaches. Of course, I cant see under the headliner.

Drove the car this morning - I opened the door while going slowly, and the door ajar chime went off. So, everything in both doors works. Dome is disconnected, trunk light is disconnected, trunk lid solenoid is disconnected.

Is it possible that the GEM unit has developed an internal short in its own circuitry ?

Thanks once more.

dont think i sent this side

if all plugs are apart and c201 still blows its in the short is in dash..it looks like you only have to pull,,,237,213,212..the power window wire is powered by fuse 43-20amp cb. the trunk also uses C201d but only 1 wire..if the GEM was bad it should have blown the fuse when C201c was pulled..when all the plugs are unhooked and than if fuse blows it can be in that harness or headlite switch. your object here is to get C201c plugged in without fuse blowing..than what ever plug blows fuse is the one to check into next.