Looking for more top end

lpraider50

Sep 28, 2011
Got a 97 gt 5 speed. Already have intake and exhaust. Looking for more top end. What suggestions do you guys have aside from headers and x pipe because thats already on my list to get.
Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

You only have a few choices:

First of all, definitely change the rear gear. While it doesn't add horsepower, the engine will be able to get to its power band much quicker. It makes a world of difference.

As far as actual power, most popular and pretty cost effective is swapping to 99+ intake, heads and cams. This will put you in the 270ish hp range (at the crank) due to a small bump in compression over a factory 99-04 engine.

If that doesn't interest you, next most cost effective choice is nitrous. The downside is you have to open the bottle when you want to use it, as well as refill it, make sure it stays a certain temp., etc. It IS the biggest bang for the buck, though. Assuming your engine and fuel system is in good working order, the car could handle a 100 wet shot all day long.

If that's not your cup of tea either, look at basic Vortech kits.

In all seriousness tho. If you are wanting to do it without a power adder, you will needs heads and cams.

Superchargers and turbo's are a good route because you don't have to mess with filling bottles and what not. A PD blower will make a lot of torque, and a Centri will make a lot of top end. A turbo makes both, but just not as much low end torque as a PD blower.

It's called Nitrous, not NOS.

That's why I keep 2 bottles in my car. When 1 runs out, I switch them. By the time the 2nd runs out, that will have meant I have made over 30 passes at the track. I figure I will be done for the night at that point.

I never really go to the track, so i want my stuff on right now. I dont really like turning on a bottle.

Yes, it is called NOZ

and when you run NOZ, you should run 3 bottles, the Big ones, just like Fast and the Furious.

Beware, danger to floor if you go over a 900 shot.

Got a 97 gt 5 speed. Already have intake and exhaust. Looking for more top end. What suggestions do you guys have aside from headers and x pipe because thats already on my list to get.
Thanks!!

The problem with your car is the NPI heads and NPI intake manifold. When combined they run out of breath at about 4500 RPM's. You can install the PI intake manifold on the NPI heads and it will improve the top end performance, but it will still be slow. I have installed a PI intake manifold, stage 2 cams, and exhaust mods (listed below) and my car still falls on its face at about 5K RPM's. The NPI heads (in stock form) just don't move enough air to ever get a decent increase in top end horsepower.