Looking for Winter Storage Tips

MikeysOTP

Mar 29, 2007
In exactly one week from today the insurance on my Stang will be suspended for the winter :doh: :Damnit: :puke: :nonono: :(

I am wondering what I should do to it before I throw the cover on it other than cleaning it up and putting some fuel stabilizer in it maybe. I also don't know if I should put it up on jackstands or if I should just move it a few feet occasionally to keep the tires from getting flatspots. I will also unhook the battery, but should I take it out of the car or just leave it in there unhooked. It will be in my garage which is not actually heated but it is fairly warm in there since it is insulated and part of the house. Do I need to do anything with the cooling system or any of the other fluids.? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Def put it on jackstands. My father always stored the 90 5.0 I have now without jackstands, and the tires would be so flat spotted, it sounded horrible for a couple hundred miles before they rounded them self back out lol. And get a battery tender. I have a Black and Decker one from WalMart and it works perfect for extended storage. I rarely drive my 90 5.0... it's a garage queen... take it from a pro lol

Do you guys recommend a battery tender because it is easier than taking the battery out or is there a reason I should leave the battery in with a tender on it? I get worried about leaving electrical devices running ever since my wifes parents house burned down from an electrical fire. I could care less about the house but losing my car would be a crusher.

A battery will lose some of its life even if you take it out and store it inside. A Battery Tender keeps the battery on trickle charge so it's fresh when you go to put it back in. I take both of my Stangs batteries out and put them on a wood shelf in the basement and hook them to a double outlet Battery Tender. A Battery Tender will NOT overcharge your battery.

Having experience in this, I would recommend not storing it, as you will do more damage than good.
I would run your car up to temperature and drive it around on sunny days, every 2 or 3 weeks.
Run your heater and if temperature allows the a/c.
In fact, I would drive it down to the gas station, fill up the tires with air and put it back in the garage.
Oil grows bacteria in it. You kill it each time you bring your car up to temp. Gaskets in your a/c system rot without use, etc., the best ting to do is start the car every couple of weeks and drive it around.

I spent lots of money fixing my 88 Stang after "storing" it while away at college.

You should buy some desicant bags for the interior though to keep the mold and mildew down (these are the moisture absorbing bags, like you have in your leather shoes). You'll find some with a google search, they are pricey. That way your interior won't smell like funk.

Jack

Since you are looking for winter storage tips, I would assume short duration storage of no more than 4-5 months. I have stored my '06 GT since new and I live in Ohio. The storage time for me is around 4 months. Usually from the end of November thru March. My storage is simple: top the tank off with gas to prevent moisture from accumulating in the gas tank (old motorcycle trick), check tire pressure and add if needed, and remove the battery. I store the battery downstairs on a wooden bench and use a battery tender. My first year mistake was waiting a few months before removing the battery and the computer/alarm system drained the battery completely flat. Amazing that the car is still "alive" when turned off and drains so much juice.. Can't wait for Spring..!

Having experience in this, I would recommend not storing it, as you will do more damage than good.
I would run your car up to temperature and drive it around on sunny days, every 2 or 3 weeks.
Run your heater and if temperature allows the a/c.
In fact, I would drive it down to the gas station, fill up the tires with air and put it back in the garage.
Oil grows bacteria in it. You kill it each time you bring your car up to temp. Gaskets in your a/c system rot without use, etc., the best ting to do is start the car every couple of weeks and drive it around.

I spent lots of money fixing my 88 Stang after "storing" it while away at college.

You should buy some desicant bags for the interior though to keep the mold and mildew down (these are the moisture absorbing bags, like you have in your leather shoes). You'll find some with a google search, they are pricey. That way your interior won't smell like funk.

Jack

Second, wait for a nice day and just take it around the block a few times.