looking to change to a turbo block

kiddiccarus

The first widely accepted Tranny
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
30 Mins from a Ragged GT
I would like to know some basics that I will have to look into as I am starting my project to turn my 93 LX into a Turbocharged 4cyl. I have located a new block but what about my suspension and rear end? and what other modifications would I need to look into during this stock to custom make over?

• Sponsors (?)

Could leave it stock if you want, or build it up along with the motor. By the time I'm turbo'd, I plan to have subframe connectors, Eibach Pro-Kit, KYB's, 5.0 brakes, and I already have bigger swaybars than stock. It all depends on what you want to do.

Ash

Your 2.3 has a 7.5 rear end, so you may want to upgrade to a 8.8 or you could possibly have traction problems with the 7.5. You could just pick up a Turbocoupe rear end, as they have an 8.8 and disc brakes. You may even consider getting a whole Turbocoupe donor car, then you can just pick it clean of whatever you need.

Lx89Stang05 said:
whats really different?? i know the pistons are but, are the rods and crank stronger too??

nope same rods and crank.
ok, ok, not all of them are the same, anything before 91 is the same, although supposedly the last version of the blocks, have a fairly thin cylinder wall on one of the cylinders. not sure what years, something like the E8 castings I believe.

There are others that are more knowlegdeable but look at my sig. Almost of the parts have been donated or I was able to get dirt cheap since all my friends are 5.0L fans so I get all the second rate hand me downs which usually work fine for what I want.

what year of turbo coupe

yes I am thinking of going to 4 wheel disc and I was unclear on the gears but the 8.8 makes sense and a 5.0 rear sway is a good idea also. I am toying with a ground pounder front end suspension and tubular k member. I have also been thinking of going 5 lug on it because of not being able to find the wheels that I like in 4 lug. I do have a lot of ideas going through my head on this because my car has a great body and is kept up well but it just dont have the get up and go that it needs.

what years of the turbo coupe T-bird would be compatable?

kiddiccarus said:
I would like to know some basics that I will have to look into as I am starting my project to turn my 93 LX into a Turbocharged 4cyl. I have located a new block but what about my suspension and rear end? and what other modifications would I need to look into during this stock to custom make over?

It depends on what you want to do and how much hp you are after.

Here is one site that talks you through wiring on a 91-93' Mustang. Also has a swap for a auto to a T-5 if need.
http://projecthp.ford23.com

If you use a DIS DP block it will be a little more tricky ( Trust me I'm using DIS with my 93'). You will also need to drill and tap a oil return line for a DP block. The bottom end of a DP block( 91-93's use a small jurnal crank) will hold up to 300hp. If you plan on more power you may want to use a turbo block swap.

The 7.5 rear end will hold up to some power, but if you going to go crazy and get like 300hp+ I would switch to a 8.8 with a T-Lock( proubly would do this anyways just for extra traction). (the autos usually has like 3:73 gears while the T-5's will be like 3:42 or something like that. ) If you don't have a T-5 I would get one. A good car to get some parts off of is a 87-88 TC.

I would proubly switch to 5.0L brakes near the same time as you boost the power or sooner. No since bumping up the power if you can't stop it. :D Now if you really want to get wild you can switch to the SN95's and 5 lug rotors with all wheel disc brakes. ( if you don't or haven't heard this yet when you go to a larger wheel like Pony wheels etc you will need limiters on your rack & pinion to keep the tires from rubbing in a sharp turn)

The sway bars are nice to have if you are like solo2 racing / OPRR or just plain take quick turns :) If your car never came with a sway bar you will need the bolts and the bar. there should be 2 holes ( each) controll arm to mount it too. If you have to buy bolts Don't go cheap.

I got a few more cool links on swaps but couldn't get them to work :(

my plan

Pro-Hawk said:
It depends on what you want to do and how much hp you are after.

Here is one site that talks you through wiring on a 91-93' Mustang. Also has a swap for a auto to a T-5 if need.
http://projecthp.ford23.com

right now I am looking at a block on a site that is a 2.5 http://racerwalsh.zoovy.com/category/4cylinder.shortblocks/ that has a short block for a new build. and with that I would be looking at changing th rear end out and the trans to a 5 spd. I am looking to go turbo but not 300+ I am just looking to get more out a 4 cyl. my pony is riding over 300,000 miles and i am afraid that she is oing to give out on me or at loeast begin to give me troubles. with a new powerplant and a new drive train I believe that I can extend her out for another 15 years. that will give me plenty of time to build up the engine and get everything I need to complete the project.

If I can do the same thing to this block by rebuilding it and adding the turbo then I will do that and soon after change the trans and rear end out.

I am looking for a set of 4 wheel disc brakes, dont care if there 4 lug or 5 really as long as I can find outlaw wheels to go with them.

for me this is a daily driver of over 80 + miles a day so the gas mileage played in the decision not to go over 300 HP I just want to have a good strong Block to begin the project but if like you say if I can do this on the block that I have then I will go ahead and try that.

I wouldnt buy a block from racer walsh-Thats way too much money when you can get a whole assembled long block from a reputable machine shop with die hard internals for the same money plus have money left over for a front mount intercooler and a hybrid turbo and maybe a management system. Doesnt seem cost effective to me :shrug: