Looks like I'm in the minority - MGW shifter isn't for me

todd4566

Founding Member
May 24, 2000
California
After rolling around with the MGW shifter for a couple days, I yanked it. Though the shifts are extremely short and precise, I found it took way too much effort to put the lever in gear, and the handle is too short for my taste (orange handle). I've read numerous times that the shifter will break-in and become looser, but that still leaves me with a handle that's too short. My stang is my daily driver, and comfort comes 1st. Though the MGW is quiet, it doesn't suite my taste on a daily basis.
What I'm looking for now is an aftermarket shifter that allows me to use the stock shift handle complete with the rubber isolaters. What are my options? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Pro 5.0 will allow you to use the stock handle. I love their medium handle way better than their shorty handle.

Here's thread I started with pics of the medium (dimensions are there, too). Let me know what you think! I just had a cruise this weekend and loved it waaaayyy better. A great compromise between performance and comfort.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=576509

todd, if the handle is too short..then thats a prob, doesnt mgw sell the blue handle which will suit your needs? and trust me. IT will loosen. I got my shifter 2 weeks ago and you can read my posts..It feels much better now. The first 4-5days, I needed to take creatine to put it into ANY gear..especially 1st,3rd, and 5th. But it loosened just like the mgw tech told me and it fees wonderful. Best manual car ive ever driven..I LOVE it..I was regretting it for first 4-5days but now its beautiful. Im used to it now, man, i wonder how sloppy the stock shifter would feel like. my friend has a 03 cobra with the triax. His shifter feels sloppy compared to my mgw:)

git-it-83 said:
Pro 5.0 will allow you to use the stock handle. I love their medium handle way better than their shorty handle.

Here's thread I started with pics of the medium (dimensions are there, too). Let me know what you think! I just had a cruise this weekend and loved it waaaayyy better. A great compromise between performance and comfort.

I don't see a link.. maybe your still getting it. :shrug: So the Pro 5.0 has a medium handle, and also allows the use of the stocker? :banana:

derek02gt said:
todd, if the handle is too short..then thats a prob, doesnt mgw sell the blue handle which will suit your needs?

i dont think they even make them anymore. pretty sure the orange handle is your only option. also the shifter base is different, so i dont think they're interchangeable :notnice: here you go

newhandlecomparo.jpg

Attachments

• newhandlecomparo.jpg
    newhandlecomparo.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 888
todd4566 said:
I don't see a link.. maybe your still getting it. :shrug: So the Pro 5.0 has a medium handle, and also allows the use of the stocker? :banana:

Darn! Forgot to post it. Yes, you can use the stock handle. Talk to Joe at Pro 5.0 and he'll tell you about it (ph# 908/241-4336).

just use the stock shifter. i've had every shifter out there and i have put the stock one back in. the MGW is by far the best but i still get better shifts and drivability with the stocker. maybe years of using stock shifters on fox bodies made me like the stock one better, who knows.

:flag:

derek02gt said:
todd, if the handle is too short..then thats a prob, doesnt mgw sell the blue handle which will suit your needs? and trust me. IT will loosen. I got my shifter 2 weeks ago and you can read my posts..It feels much better now. The first 4-5days, I needed to take creatine to put it into ANY gear..especially 1st,3rd, and 5th. But it loosened just like the mgw tech told me and it fees wonderful. Best manual car ive ever driven..I LOVE it..I was regretting it for first 4-5days but now its beautiful. Im used to it now, man, i wonder how sloppy the stock shifter would feel like. my friend has a 03 cobra with the triax. His shifter feels sloppy compared to my mgw:)

As previously stated, the orange handle was my only choice, and I didn't like it. :( Agreed, the shifter a real pain to get into gear. I hated it so much I couldn't wait for it to break in any longer. Again though, if the throw wasn't so short, maybe I would have kept it. I used to keep my Tri-Ax on the higher setting if that tells you anything about my preference. :p
So it looks like I'm gonna check out the Pro 5.0. All I want is a slighty reduced throw while using the stock handle. :nice: Anyone looking for a tremec MGW? ;)

todd4566 said:
As previously stated, the orange handle was my only choice, and I didn't like it. :( Agreed, the shifter a real pain to get into gear. I hated it so much I couldn't wait for it to break in any longer. Again though, if the throw wasn't so short, maybe I would have kept it. I used to keep my Tri-Ax on the higher setting if that tells you anything about my preference. :p
So it looks like I'm gonna check out the Pro 5.0. All I want is a slighty reduced throw while using the stock handle. :nice: Anyone looking for a tremec MGW? ;)

You saw the link in my post above, then Todd?

Ok, buy the pro 5.0 and put on the steeda triax shifter....this makes the PERFECT shifter....seriously. I couldnt imagine anything better, and the pro 5.0s design eleminates any springs and will hit 3rd EVERYTIME unless you screwup and let the clutch out to fast lol. Its MILES AND MILES AND MILES better than stock. Even when brand new it was kinda tight but still easy to shift...didnt take much effort at all and that was with the SHORT provided shifter (dont use it...buy the steeda handle at the same time). All you have to do is push in the general direction of the radio and it goes into 3rd.

Heck now after its loosened up a little, I can shift it with my fingers, yet there is still no play in it, even after 20ish K. The MGW limits you to its handles....I dont like that....I like options.
I personally gaurentee you that you will like the above mentioned combo...its that good.

Oh and the noise lv is VERY VERY slight....just after instal I could hear a LIGHT tranny noise, the freegin wind noise outside with the windows up will basically kill it...I could only hear it when going fairly slow.
Now I havnt heard it in ages, its really about the quietes out there...and in about a week you cant hear/dont notice any noise.
Like I said, PERFECT.

git-it-83 said:
You saw the link in my post above, then Todd?

Just looked at it; that "medium" handle looks just like the Tri-Ax handle I used in the Gt. Much better than the Pro5.0 shorty, but I still want to roll with the stock handle. I sit somewhat far back in my seat, and find the stock handle to make shifting fairly effortless.

Premium Speed said:
just use the stock shifter. i've had every shifter out there and i have put the stock one back in. the MGW is by far the best but i still get better shifts and drivability with the stocker. maybe years of using stock shifters on fox bodies made me like the stock one better, who knows.

That could be my situation too. The Mach is my fourth stang.. in my history I've now had a two versions of the Hurst shifter, the Tri-Ax, and the MGW. I really like driving the Mach around with the stocker, but I still lust for a slighty shorter throw. I definitely don't want to hear gear whine, & I'm feeling pretty good about the possibilty Pro5.0 w/ stock handle. Only thing that sux is the $210 price tag of the Pro5.0. :eek:

todd4566 said:
Just looked at it; that "medium" handle looks just like the Tri-Ax handle I used in the Gt. Much better than the Pro5.0 shorty, but I still want to roll with the stock handle. I sit somewhat far back in my seat, and find the stock handle to make shifting fairly effortless.

That could be my situation too. The Mach is my fourth stang.. in my history I've now had a two versions of the Hurst shifter, the Tri-Ax, and the MGW. I really like driving the Mach around with the stocker, but I still lust for a slighty shorter throw. I definitely don't want to hear gear whine, & I'm feeling pretty good about the possibilty Pro5.0 w/ stock handle. Only thing that sux is the $210 price tag of the Pro5.0. :eek:
I got my pro50 for about $175 shipped. It's for the tr3650.

todd4566 said:
Well I found the Pro5.0 on ebay cheaper, but after calling Pro 5.0 I was told I wouldn't be able to use the stock handle AND the rubber piece around it.
:damnit:
TRUE, I tried to use the stocker and all of the different ways I could think to rig it were unsuccessful.

git-it-83 said:
Why not just craft your own isolator piece out of nylon/rubber/etc?

True, but I wish there was a shifter that had the same thread position and threads as the stock piece so fabrication wouldn't be necessary. I do have the Cobra Bob gaskets laying around, so I could match them with the medium Pro5.0 handle and hope for quiet & smooth. I used rubber washers on my Tri-Ax to quiet it down.. helped a little but not too much.

I am also considering taking my MGW orange handle and welding an extension into it or something to raise it up higher, but the MGW design is very unique and hard to fabricate things for.

todd4566 said:
True, but I wish there was a shifter that had the same thread position and threads as the stock piece so fabrication wouldn't be necessary. I do have the Cobra Bob gaskets laying around, so I could match them with the medium Pro5.0 handle and hope for quiet & smooth. I used rubber washers on my Tri-Ax to quiet it down.. helped a little but not too much.

I am also considering taking my MGW orange handle and welding an extension into it or something to raise it up higher, but the MGW design is very unique and hard to fabricate things for.
FWIW, the new medium handle I just installed is MUCH quieter than that mock-billet shorty. The medium seems to have a glossy powder coating finish to it (see that other thread I posted for pics, referenced above) and it seems to dampen gear whine A LOT. Wish you lived nearby and you could hear it/drive it yourself.....