loud fuel pump

• Sponsors (?)

well, has it always been this loud??

if it hasnt then i would say that it probably will go soon or it is partiallyclogged and is succking fuel harder than normal

just break down and put the bbk in already i think it should be fine, the regualator will do its job

Mine too,I used to live in Colorado,I had a Jeep wrangler with an intank fuel pump,when ever I went into the Rockies into High altitude it wined the same way.So Im hoping the sound is normal for a mustang. Anyone else have any comments?

Well my stock pump wasn't necessarily loud, but I had an exhaust too. Then one day when it made a louder than usual "growl" when it primed before I turned the car on. I turned the key back to OFF and then turned it back on and no prime. The car started for a few seconds, sputtered and that was it. I was toast. I replaced it with an Airtex pump that I bought off my local car parts guy and it's quieter than the stocker and works great. I do hear it from outside underneath the gas tank though. Kinda like a high pitched tone to it, but I can't even hear it from inside with the car idling, and that's with my stock exhaust. How many miles are on your car CCStang?

Almost two years ago now, my pump started to get louder and the pitch kind of waivered up and down a little.... not a constant tone. Well, of course it died on me while I was out of town. Riding down the road, all of the sudden the car starts slowing down. I pull over on the side of the road and it dies. When I would turn the key, no more priming sound. I knew right away it was the pump. I did not have a cell phone yet at the time (got one the next day) and it was on a country road, so I had to walk about three miles to someone's house, ask to use their phone, call to my town and arrange a tow, etc, etc. It was not a fun experience.
The next day I got a generic auto-store pump and installed it. It lasted about a month then started giving me problems. I ordered a BBK 190lph pump and it's been fine since.
By the way, most of the aftermarket pumps are made by Walbro. My BBK one has Walbro stamped on the side of it and a friend of mine's Holley pump does too.
If you already have the BBK pump, I'd go ahead and install it as soon as possible. These things don't give you any warning, they just die. And no fuel = no go. In my experience and most Mustang friends I've talked to, the pump getting louder or sounding different or weird usually means it's getting tired.
Hope this helps.