Loud Popping Sound when revved

Sharkman8

Feb 1, 2004
I got a 89 GT 5.0 (stock, I'm a poor college student right now) and I changed out the fuel injectors the other day. I put everything back on (or at least I thought I did) but now I have this strange loud popping sound when the engine is revved quickly or when I try to pull off. I'm hoping its not a craked head because there is water coming out of the pipes now as well. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Big B, i think you are right. since he did the wrenching on the injectors, i thought he was referring to something under the hood. now where is he?

Sharkman8 said:
I got a 89 GT 5.0 (stock, I'm a poor college student right now) and I changed out the fuel injectors the other day. I put everything back on (or at least I thought I did) but now I have this strange loud popping sound when the engine is revved quickly or when I try to pull off. I'm hoping its not a craked head because there is water coming out of the pipes now as well. Any ideas?

I'm 99.999% sure I know what's wrong with your car. When you installed your injectors one of the 0-rings (more than likely more than one) didn't seal properly and now you have a massive vacuum leak. This will cause your car to "pop". As far as watter comming out the pipes that is normal to a certian degree. Especially when the car is being brought up to operating temp.

Thanks everyone, it was the firing order. It was cold outside, so I guess it was just condensation. I changed the injectors b/c a few of them had been leaking and when I looked, two of them were cracked, probably by the previous owner, so I just changed the whole side.