Loud Tick-cold Idle..

Alex Kraczek

May 7, 2012
Freshly rebuilt 5.0, have a pretty serious tick on cold startup (driver side particularly) only sometimes. Other times it is quiet.

Thinking it is a lifter bleeding down after sitting, sometimes it does it sometimes it does not. Goes away after approximately 2 minutes of idling.

Input? Should I be worried?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Not if it's off just enough that when it warms up the tolerances change to stip the ticking. He could have set the lash with the lifter not fully bled. My first choice is a lifter.

Reactions: 1 user
Leaking header gaskets will often mimic a noisy valve. For a first pass effort, make sure all the header bolts are tight.

Reactions: 1 user
A friend of mine broke the pedestal hats on a couple of my roller rockers, so Im currently using the my stamped stock rockers. I did not check valve lash, I tightened down rocker arms and made sure the pushrods didnt move up or down, thats it. Car sounds perfect when warmed up, but even if I turn it off to get gas or something and start it, it will tick tick away for a couple minutes then slowly fade.

Bleeding down? Should I be concerned? Really dont wanna tear it down again. It is not an exhaust leak, I verified. Coming from driver side, approximately the 5th cylinder I believe.

Take a 4' section of garden hose or heater hose. Stick one end in your ear and move the other around to suspected noise sources. Works exactly like a stethoscope and helps you pinpoint noise sources.