Low 12s...99 GT 5speed Sprayed. How?

MidnightGT

Mar 30, 2005
Hey I have a 1999 Mustang GT 5 speed. I want low 12s. Well I want faster, but thats my goal. I also am pretty sure I want to put the car on spray. What will I need to get to my goal?

So far plans include:
MGW blue shifter
NOSzle Direct Port 125 shot or Wet 125 shot (depending on money I have)
X pipe, Catback

How much more would I need to reach my goal. I know this is a pretty generic question, but any help will help tremendously. Once I hit low 12s, ill be done with this car until after college when I get a cobra. Also what would need to be done to allow for a larger nitrous shot? How much would it come to? How strong is the block itself?

Once again thanks x 10. :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

Oh Good Lord poor engine!!!!

Dude... if youre going with nitrous at LEAST forge the internals... that poor little 4.6 doesnt stand a chance with a 125 shot for a sustained period... get some forged internals, better cams and heads, then after that money spree look at a nice blower and run about an 11 PSI setup if intercooled... or that nitrous setup... mind you we're talking at least 8 grand, but that should let your run low 12s

as long as the nitrous is installed right & tuned properly, nitrous isn't as bad as people make it out to be. the majority of people that blow their engine on nitrous cause the failure themselves by running too big of a shot, spraying below 2500 etc......

run no more than a 100-25 shot sparingly. invest in extras such as a wot switch, purge and maybe a window switch. only use it above 3,000 rpms. nitrous is safe if used right. i used to have a gt with a 75 shot used almost every other day for 2 years no problem. kit was installed ot about 75,000 miles and used to over 100,000 miles. be patient and educate yourself before using spray. used smartly you will be in the 12's.

01SN8K said:
run no more than a 100-25 shot sparingly. invest in extras such as a wot switch, purge and maybe a window switch. only use it above 3,000 rpms. nitrous is safe if used right. i used to have a gt with a 75 shot used almost every other day for 2 years no problem. kit was installed ot about 75,000 miles and used to over 100,000 miles. be patient and educate yourself before using spray. used smartly you will be in the 12's.

exactly! these people don't make kits' to blow peoples engines, they wouldn't be in business if they did. they are safe when used right

there is noting wrong with nitrous. the only problem is between the steering whell and seat. i have friends with cars that have run hundreds of runs on the spray without trouble. a LT-1 F-body friend of mine sprays a 175 shot on a stock internal 100,000 miles LT-1 it's all in how you use it.

the spray is a great way too go fast CHEAP.

MikeZ28 said:
there is noting wrong with nitrous. the only problem is between the steering whell and seat. i have friends with cars that have run hundreds of runs on the spray without trouble. a LT-1 F-body friend of mine sprays a 175 shot on a stock internal 100,000 miles LT-1 it's all in how you use it.

the spray is a great way too go fast CHEAP.
^exactly...alot of the local racers around here are on spray. Most are LS1s/LT1s with 125-150shot. I heard 125 shot was safe with a tune on a stock 99 GT. Guess I heard wrong and 100 is safer. Being in highschool (just graduated) and soon college, I cant really afford the blower. I wish tho. A kb would be mighty fine :nice:

Barrier said:
Oh Good Lord poor engine!!!!

Dude... if youre going with nitrous at LEAST forge the internals... that poor little 4.6 doesnt stand a chance with a 125 shot for a sustained period... get some forged internals, better cams and heads, then after that money spree look at a nice blower and run about an 11 PSI setup if intercooled... or that nitrous setup... mind you we're talking at least 8 grand, but that should let your run low 12s
NO WAY!!! 8 grand to run low 12's???? First of all, how many times do you plan on spraying? If it's only a couple times, then go for the 125 shot, just be careful, we gots PLASTIC intakes that like to blow up. You can get into 12's with all the bolt on's, a 100 shot and some drag radials.

MikeZ28 said:
i have friends with cars that have run hundreds of runs on the spray without trouble. a LT-1 F-body friend of mine sprays a 175 shot on a stock internal 100,000 miles LT-1 it's all in how you use it.

Yeah, but you gotta also think about the fact that the LT1 and LS1 motors handle a hell of alot more than these...

SonicBlueBabe said:
we gots PLASTIC intakes that like to blow up.
The 125 shot would be if I got the NOSzle kit. Much safer and avoids the intake. Id probally do a 100 shot on a Wet kit if I dont get the NOSzle.

I dont understand why everyone thinks Nitrous = dead car. I know so many people who got it installed and tuned right after who have been spraying for a while, not a single problem. The tune is key. Like someone said earlier if Nitrous blew your engine for every user...they wouldnt sell it.

I heard that 125 shot with NOSzle, LT Headers + full exhaust, Drag radials, and gear would get me into the 12s.....

Any truth to that?

SonicBlueBabe said:
NO WAY!!! 8 grand to run low 12's???? First of all, how many times do you plan on spraying? If it's only a couple times, then go for the 125 shot, just be careful, we gots PLASTIC intakes that like to blow up. You can get into 12's with all the bolt on's, a 100 shot and some drag radials.

you can get into the 12's n/a no real need for nitrous there.

The nozzle kit comes with all the safety equipment you'll need and you should be fine with a 125 shot. My stock block with a dry shot making 378/422 at the wheels was abused often and never had any problems. You will also need bolt ons, long tubes, 3.73s, and sticky tires. With that, I see no reason why you can't hit low 12s.

12's arnt hard for mustangs. get yourself all the good bolt on's(exhaust, pullies, gears, slicks, so on, you got the idea), lose a little bit of wieght on her, and get it to hook. id say some cams, and a stall(if its a auto), along with all the other bull stuff, and i think you wouldnt have a problem runnin high twelves. i think you could do it with bolt ons and weight lose honestly. remember a race is won within the first 60 foot and reaction time anyways. thatd be way cooler then havin people makin fun of you for "still drinkin a lil blue baby bottle". of corse, all this would cost way more then nitrous.

In addition to the spray...ill eventually be looking at:
Mac Long Tubes .... 360ish
ProChamber........... 215ish
Catback................ Undecided
Nitto 555R............. 150x4
MGW Shifter.......... 180

That already comes to 1355...not including the spray or the catback.

Assume I spend anouther 500-700 for the spray kit (500 if new wet, 700ish if used NOSzle) and 300ish for a catback, were looking at 2155 to 2355. For the work. I can install most of this myself, but I obviously cant tune it. So we are looking at even more, especially if I plan on geting a predator (500), and I also wanted to do suspension work. Assume 300 for upper and lower c arms, 230 for drag springs, and were talking anouther 1030. My new total comes to 3185 to 3385. Now were in blower range. :shrug: God I wish Modding you car could be as easy as saying "I want to go fast".

I think If I went this nitrous route, then I would actually be faster then stock with a blower. However, the blower would probally equate to less headaches, and I would eventually want to do the rest anyway. I wish I could be patient enough to push my modding days off until after college when I buy a 04+cobra or GT500....(I am one of those people that dont see THAT much potential in a SOHC GT.).

Sorry for putting you guys through all this rambling lol, but your helping. :flag: