Low Balling Insurance Companies

Frost Racing

Jan 22, 2004
I was driving my friends 65 coupe last night and some idiot ran a stop sign and slammed into me and then took off. The police probably got him early this morning considering his license plate fell off and gave them his address. The car is pretty smashed in on the driver side rear and the door is completely inoperable. The front suspension also got messed up because when he hit me I did a 360 hitting the curb in the process. Most likely considering he left the seen(instant felony because I shattered the window with my head and had to get stiches) he probably doesn't have insurance so my friends uninsured motorist clause will have to cover the bill. I basically built this car for him, it has a 5speed ,fuel injection, flawless interior,16" polished torque thrust and a navy blue with white stripes paint job.So, finally my question is how do I prove the value of this car? I have a feeling that their going to say sorry, it's totaled, here's a few thousand.
Thanks For Reading

• Sponsors (?)

they will say that, the best thing to do is find what similar cars are selling for and take that as evidence. Also it always helps to play hard ball with them because paying you off is usually cheaper than a court case.

Same thing happened to my 65 coupe, 5 speed, sweet interior, efi on the way, and polished 16 ttII's. My drivers side door is caved in and quarter is jacked up too. In florida there's an option called "contract repair" and it's what I used to get the value out of my mustang. It's where the adjuster comes out to assess the damage and he says there's going to be no affiliation whatsoever with the total loss department, also the title will remain clear, as in NOT being a salvage title. The next problem is determinig the value of the car.

This is the hard part. My adjuster was very sypmathetic and even though I had EVERY receipt for every thing possibly done to my coupe he didn't even look at them, or want to see them. All I showed him was the NADA classic value of my car and he was fine with that, and guess what. He valued it at a little more than it was worth. Then the next step would be to find a body shop and they can fix the car up to 80% of the adjuster's stated value of the mustang, sometimes all the way to 100% if you really let him know that you want to keep your car. However, take this with a pinch of salt, because this is completely up to the adjuster's discretion. Good luck and I hope things work out for you and your friend.