LOW BUDGET!! Need advice!

Rains

Founding Member
Oct 14, 2002
Chico, CALIFORNIA!!!
So- I will probably be picking up a super cheap 87 Notch with a stick, it needs a little interior work and paint ... but otherwise will meet my needs for a project stang!

What would you guys/gals deem to be the best low budget/no budget / hurts the wallet but are SO awesome things...and not to mention the junk yard jems!

It's been a while since I've owned a stang, so I'm asking help in refreshing my memory!!

PS
It has shorty headers.. and the guy might throw in an X pipe! (hope so)

And i'm looking for the lowest possible budget!

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Can't beat Thumper heads, and TMOSS ported intake for budget. Then get an off the shelf cam, depending on the cam, should produce a good amount of torque to the wheels.
\
Don't forget a set of gears, like 3.73's or 4.10's if its for the track.

EDIT: gears will probably make the single biggest difference, for the price that is

88Stang331 said:
Can't beat Thumper heads, and TMOSS ported intake for budget. Then get an off the shelf cam, depending on the cam, should produce a good amount of torque to the wheels.
\
Don't forget a set of gears, like 3.73's or 4.10's if its for the track.

EDIT: gears will probably make the single biggest difference, for the price that is

Agree with all of it. Gears will probably make the single biggest difference. Then the lower intake, and heads when you can afford it. Like stated, its hard to beat Thumpers for a budget. Maybe a good short throw shifter like an MGW so you can make sure your new power is used in each gear.

Of course there is always Nitrous.......:nice:

Find yourself an Explorer/GT40P headed 5.0 from a junkyard....typically in the 600 dollar range, throw a good cam in it and bolt it up. You'll benefit a ton from the heads and the intake is pretty good for a budget. With slicks and driving the balls off the car, you'll crack 12s once you get a good gear in the rear end.

There are 2 threads in the tech thread index which will be of interest to you.
One is on j/y parts, the other is suggested modifications and the order in which to make them.

Congrats on returning to the stang.

jason

X2

GEARS!!!! at least a 3.73.

There will be a very big difference in acceleration when compared to the stock gears.

Then heads. What kind depends on how you are going to define budget..............................and so on.

gears and slicks, then start looking at some gt40 heads, you can easily find a cheap set of gt40 heads on corral for 200-300 range, and a cobra or gt40 intake for 200ish. Save up some money put in a nice off the shelf cam and youll be in the 12;s