low coolant

97predator

Aug 18, 2003
va beach
low coolant light comes on at startup, but disappears once car is warmed up. but this morning and yestrday afternoon it didnt, the weather was warmer. is it telling me the amount of coolant itself is low compared to the water in the tank as well? there are no problems as far as operaing temps, stays right in the middle, so it is being cooled fine. is this a sign the water pump is about to go? or is it just a matter of flushing the rdiator and prepping for winter?

• Sponsors (?)

97predator said:
low coolant light comes on at startup, but disappears once car is warmed up. but this morning and yestrday afternoon it didnt, the weather was warmer. is it telling me the amount of coolant itself is low compared to the water in the tank as well? there are no problems as far as operaing temps, stays right in the middle, so it is being cooled fine. is this a sign the water pump is about to go? or is it just a matter of flushing the rdiator and prepping for winter?

is the overflow tank filled to the full mark when the engine is cold?

yeah add coolant to the top of the resivoir when the car is cold so you can get more coolant in there.

depending on how cold it gets in your neck of the woods, add more coolant than water if it gets really cool and if it stays warmer than say around 30ish or freezing, just add a 50/50 mix.

Also, check for hose leaks.

Oh damn I almost forgot. You have a 97 gt also. There is a recall on teh intake manifolds. if you've got a few minutes pull your alternator off and look at the intake manifold just behind the alternator where the coolant passes through that front part. Inspect for cracks where coolant would leak. Mine did. Ford will replace the manifold with one that has a metal coolant crossover for FREE!

97predator said:

My previous 98 GT had the same symtoms before I found the crack in the intake. Most seem to crack around the thermostat housing.

The warranty is good for 7 years from the original date your car was purchased new. Call the dealer and give them your vin # and they will tell you if your car is part of the recall. There is a recall notice letter on my pic site.

John

FastRedPonyCar said:
Oh damn I almost forgot. You have a 97 gt also. There is a recall on teh intake manifolds. if you've got a few minutes pull your alternator off and look at the intake manifold just behind the alternator where the coolant passes through that front part. Inspect for cracks where coolant would leak. Mine did. Ford will replace the manifold with one that has a metal coolant crossover for FREE!

Does that apply to '96 GTs, too?

AquamanCHS said:
Does that apply to '96 GTs, too?

Yes it is for 96-97 and early 98's

42205397M91.gif

hope this helps.

john