Low Fuel Light

Dietch

May 6, 2004
Hey everyone,

Just bought an 04 Mustang V6 and was curious how far you could get once the low fuel light comes on. Is it one of those "get to a gas station right now!!!" things, or is it a "get gas tomorrow". How many miles can you guys make it with the light on?

Does anyone know how many gallons are left once the light comes on???

Thanks! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

It's a good idea to head towards a gas station when you see it on. I dont have a mustang, but I've pushed mine to the limit. I've been all the way passed the E mark before. It's scarry.

I have no idea how much is left, but when the light comes on it's time to put some more in. With fuel injected cars the fuel pump is in the tank so it uses the gas for cooling, if there isn't enough gas to keep it cool it can burn out. Also, the greater pumping force they use will suck all kinds of debris out of your tank and **** up the fuel pump. I'm sure the light was designed more to prevent damage to the fuel system than to prevent you from walking to the gas station. :)

well if you want to keep your fuel pump cool, the general rule of thumb is to kep the tank over 1/4 full. however one of the most highly debated issues on driving till the tank is bone dry is that people say debris will be sent into your engine...well thats what your fuel filter is for. it will just get clogged quicker. but yeah, i try to keep my tank over 1/4 of a gallon, it also makes me feel like im getting ripped off less at the gas pump, not putting as much in. lol.

I just ran my tank til the light came on becasue i was waiting for my paycheck to fill up since gas is so high. I ended up putting just over 13.5 gallons in, and a our tanks are 15.5 gallons, so that means when you have 2 gallons left roughly it comes on.

cruisinV6 said:
I just ran my tank til the light came on becasue i was waiting for my paycheck to fill up since gas is so high. I ended up putting just over 13.5 gallons in, and a our tanks are 15.5 gallons, so that means when you have 2 gallons left roughly it comes on.

Yeah thats about what I had figured. Thanks guys
I agree with the "Keeping the Fuel Pump Cool" theory, but sometimes you can't get to a station right away. Its nice to know what you can get away with.... :nice:

ChrisYellowV6 said:
well if you want to keep your fuel pump cool, the general rule of thumb is to kep the tank over 1/4 full. however one of the most highly debated issues on driving till the tank is bone dry is that people say debris will be sent into your engine...well thats what your fuel filter is for. it will just get clogged quicker. but yeah, i try to keep my tank over 1/4 of a gallon, it also makes me feel like im getting ripped off less at the gas pump, not putting as much in. lol.
it doesn't go into the engine, it clogs up the fuel pump pickup. Which is a pain in the ass.