Low Mile Gt. Great Find........i Hope!

villain2000

Aug 6, 2014
Hey Guys. I'm switching jobs soon and needed to find a work car since I will be giving back my company ride. I wanted to stay on the less expensive side, so I was looking for something around the 5 to 7000 range. After looking at countless pieces of crap with 100,000+ miles on them! I found this (I hope!) gem.

1998 Mustang GT 5 speed with a cloth interior. 16,1332 miles! 2 owners! $6200. Not a spot of rust anywhere. Interior looks like it was never even sat in. Car runs tight and feels solid. I saw the car before the dealer cleaned it up and it almost looked like a barn find. Just kind of dusty and dirty looking on the outside. There was a fine layer of white looking haze over the paint. Only 4 issues that I could see. Belt was squealing, Probably just needs replaced as it's the original. AC was not blowing cold. Dealer recharged it and it seems to now be blowing fine. Hope there's no leaks! Also, the paint, after it was buffed out, still had some of that acid rain damage, although it's nice and glossy with a smooth feel to it. The headlights had some fade to them. Nothing one if those 3m kits can't handle.

Other than that, she seems to be all there. Just wondering what you all think? I'm going to have a fluid change marathon after I pick it up. They changed the oil but out 5w20 in it. That :poo:s coming right out. As far as the rest, I'm going to be doing diff, trans, oil, antifreeze, power steering and antifreeze after I pick it up

So, like what do y'all think? Did I do okay here? Man I hope so! Pretty excited. Never really wanted a Mustang GT till I drove this one........loving it so far.
image.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Damn! I suck at typing! Thanks dude! It's 16.132. Low, low, low, low miles. I know sometimes that can be an issue with cars that have sat around. Oh and the the paint code is FU (lol!), which I guess is satin green?

Might want to change all the hoses since it's sat for a while.

I would not say to do that as that may not be necessary. A simple touch and squeeze method can dictate a hose replacement. Hoses sometimes do fail due to dry rot, but many variations dictate that. So my advise is to enjoy your new ride, inspect and replace what you feel needs replacing. Keep your money in the wallet for things like FUEL! Good Luck!

Stangr50h, that is good advice. I did inspect the belt and hoses and they do LOOK fine. Luckily I plan on staying pretty local with this car, so an issue like that wouldn't be too major.

That's a good price for those miles. I paid $6k for my 98GT with 100k on it but mine was rust free and had a lot of properly done mods. Bone ass stock and that mileage really does mean something. Def do ALL the fluids including the transmission and you'll probably want an aftermarket shifter if you are going to be banging gears at all since the stock shifter does not have positive stops and the T-45 transmissions do not have internal stops like the 3650s do (01-up). For fluid in the trans, do NOT use Mercon V or any super omg synthetic. I recommend Syncrhomesh for any manual I own and you can get the Pennzoil variety at any box store for $8/bottle. Syncrhomesh makes manual transmissions shift like butter, even the 3650s that every0ne complains about.

For a driver this is really good though, the NPI with stock gears (2.73s usually but some had a 3.27 option) will get mid 20s for gas mileage and takes 87 just fine. It will be a slug compared to other GT Mustangs but if you are just DDing it that probably doesn't matter as much. If you are going to do some mods to it, def post up what your plans are and there are plenty out there who can help you out. A 16k original mile NPI bottom end is a PERFECT candidate for a PI swap.

Reactions: 1 user
Is everyone else running 5w20 in the older Mustangs? That oil didn't come out till well after 98. I will go with group consensus on this one. Oil is way too important to mess with. Probably not going go mod it. Was just looking for a dd that had some fun factor to it. No matter what, it's loads better than a bone stock Taurus. ☺

Is everyone else running 5w20 in the older Mustangs? That oil didn't come out till well after 98. I will go with group consensus on this one. Oil is way too important to mess with. Probably not going go mod it. Was just looking for a dd that had some fun factor to it. No matter what, it's loads better than a bone stock Taurus. ☺
My 96 GT called for 5W20...so It was available then.

Lol I could look in my owner's manual for my 98 and see but I just know to put 5w-20 in them although the European 4.6L calls for 5w-30 so that works fine too. 20 weight is likely a US specific thing for emissions/fuel/whatever.

Nice find.

Now, go out and price yourself out a new Ford (not Dorman junk) replacement intake manifold.

The '98 model lower manifolds were all plastic and prone to cracking and leaking. It it hasn't cracked and been changed out under warranty already for the updated one with the aluminum coolant crossover tube, you can bet that after being on the car for 17-years, it soon will be.

Good excuse for a PI swap if you ask me. :stir:

Nice find.

Now, go out and price yourself out a new Ford (not Dorman junk) replacement intake manifold.

The '98 model lower manifolds were all plastic and prone to cracking and leaking. It it hasn't cracked and been changed out under warranty already for the updated one with the aluminum coolant crossover tube, you can bet that after being on the car for 17-years, it soon will be.

Good excuse for a PI swap if you ask me. :stir:

It is a good excuse for a PI swap, but even the aluminum crossover intakes eventually warp and leak. Right under the tstat is where it happens.

IMG_20140213_225025_453_zpsh5qp5xqd.jpg

That's a metal crossover OEM PI intake that was on my motor and why I never recommend anyone buy a used intake.

Below is how they are supposed to look and how my replacement looked when I got it from LRS.

IMG_20140224_180733_708_zpsaa2xhfm3.jpg

So even the new ones will eventually have issues but if you get a brand new one like I did it SHOULD last for a very long time.

Attachments

• IMG_20140213_225025_453_zpsh5qp5xqd.jpg
    IMG_20140213_225025_453_zpsh5qp5xqd.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20140224_180733_708_zpsaa2xhfm3.jpg
    IMG_20140224_180733_708_zpsaa2xhfm3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 76
Lol I could look in my owner's manual for my 98 and see but I just know to put 5w-20 in them although the European 4.6L calls for 5w-30 so that works fine too. 20 weight is likely a US specific thing for emissions/fuel/whatever.

My 96gt took 5w 20 but the owners manual to my 2000 says to use 5w 30 (Windsor engine) . I read some where once that Ford later revised it back to 5w 20 for all years.