Low Oil Level Sensor (plug)

• Sponsors (?)

LMResto doesn't seem to offer the one without the sensor bung. Trying to get the car back on the road by tomorrow night and need to drive it from ATX to Conroe. Don't really have the time to wait anyway.

If time is of the essence, then drop by local parts store and just pick up the cheapest sensor that they have.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Probably what I'm going to do. I know Summit offers a delete plug but I was just seeing if anyone has had the issue tracking one down at one of the chain auto stores.

Most folks end up going with a 7 qt pan with no provision for that sensor. The one I have even includes oil line provisions for superchargers.

Honestly, I've never given even a moment's thought to what size that bung must be. :shrug:
I doubt that a parts store would carry a plug for that specific pan so you're best off ordering the one that you're aware of.

i see they have 2 different gaskets...

I have a 92 5.0 with an 89 motor. I have a leak at the low oil sensor even after a new ford gasket, but i think its the one from LMR..which seems to be the correct one in my application. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 besides that inner o-ring? wouldnt it or shouldnt it be the same and not make a difference? is the oil pan mating surface different or is the underside of the sensor housing any different? i mean, it looks like a smooth to smooth mating surface which either gasket could be used?

i just picked up these gaskets from a ford dealership parts counter part no e9dz6c626b at only $1 each. pretty solid piece. but damnit it says it does not fit an 89 motor, only 90-95 this is the gasket you need. i have a 92 with an 89 motor...i dont understand the difference between the years? anybody?
D51CBC0A-2C42-4DA0-A1E6-47DE4657A8F8.jpeg

Attachments

• A24F3440-348D-43E5-A2A5-B7FF57A8884D.jpeg
    A24F3440-348D-43E5-A2A5-B7FF57A8884D.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 138
BTW, often the leak is not from the gasket but for the sensor itself. There is an internal seal that fails with age. The entire sensor housing mst be replaced if that is the case. Not a cheap part.

I bought the plug for now, but at some point down the road i'll pony up for the sensor.

Wait, shouldn’t a bad or missing sensor light up some light in the dash, like the oil light?

I’m only referring to the low oil sensor. It doesn’t connect to the ECU at all so it won’t dump a code. The word “sensor” also needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Basically it’s a switch. When the oil level drops, it closes to ground and the oil light comes on.

If you unplug it, it can never ground out so it won’t come on.

87-89 coolant level switches are the same thing. When they close, the light comes on. If you unplug the sensor (since they are not on the LX models) the plug stays open forever since it can’t close and connect to ground and the light never comes on.

Modern cars I’m sure will dump 10 codes to the modules if such a sensor fails.

Reactions: 1 user
I knew it was not connected to the ECU,
I’m only referring to the low oil sensor. It doesn’t connect to the ECU at all so it won’t dump a code. The word “sensor” also needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Basically it’s a switch. When the oil level drops, it closes to ground and the oil light comes on.

If you unplug it, it can never ground out so it won’t come on.

87-89 coolant level switches are the same thing. When they close, the light comes on. If you unplug the sensor (since they are not on the LX models) the plug stays open forever since it can’t close and connect to ground and the light never comes on.

Modern cars I’m sure will dump 10 codes to the modules if such a sensor fails.
I knew it was not an ECU connected sensor, but with the low coolant light in my car, I expected there to be an idiot light for the oil sensor. Thanks for the prompt answer.