Low power, overheating

Hey guys i know this may sound similar to the question that is fairly close to this one but let me give you a little back story.

back around november i had to basically get my entire cooling system replaced. then the bad part, i let it sit until today when i went out there and got it running. now that i got it running problems that were there before are still there and hopefully you guys can help me out.

first the charging problem, i put a new battery in it today and at first the charge looked great. after driving for a little bit the charge dropped down to about the o in normal so this would make me think that it is an alternator problem, the only problem with that is it never dropped below or rose above the o. i hope its just the alternator but maybe you guys can give another suggestion.

next the heating problem which i believe maybe related to the alternator issue. the car just gets hot simple as that, now like i said earlier right before the car sat i had the whole system replaced, this makes me think that it something other than cooling system itself which made me think that maybe it has something to do with the low power. is there a way that maybe the low power would lead to the fan not running correctly?

lastly, there is an a/c problem. when i turn on the air it is cold but if i would come to a stop light the car surges then the air gets hot and the cars temp starts to get very hot and i would just park it to make sure it wouldnt over heat.

alright guys there are my problems and i hope that you guys can help me out with this stuff as it is starting to drive me crazy especially now that i got my car running again i would like to be able to drive it with out there being a lot of problems.

Thanks!:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Justin, You will need a DMM to check your electrical system out - the stock gauge is not something to use for diagnostics (I.e. the difference between a battery sitting at 12.2 and 12.4 volts is a huge change in state of discharge). I havent looked at the stock gauges in years so I don't recall what the letters correspond to. Others can help you there.

You will also want a real temp gauge. If you're staunchly against gauges, a code scanner will let you see PIDs in real time.

A lack of electrical system power can definitely hinder idle cooling, since the fan isnt receiving as much current as it otherwise would.

Here's a little bit of cooling system info (pay attention to the fan testing section).

Good luck.

have to bump this, i really think that its the alt for some reason just want some more opinions

You're going to have to do some testing to know - we all just post up suggestions of what we would check out.

If you don't have time to do diagnostics, most parts stores will do a free dynamic test of the charging system for free. That might be worthwhile.

Good luck.