Lower control arm question

tweet66

Founding Member
May 19, 2001
Pennsauken, NJ
Any one know of a manufacturer who produces stock LCA's with a push in ball joint for 65/66 cars? I picked up a set of arms at Carlisle this year that are exactly like the stockers on my 66 coupe but have a push in ball joint and the material is thicker...

• Sponsors (?)

if you want replaceable ball joints in your lower arms, check out opentrackers website for screw in ball joints. with a little work you will have ball joints that you can replace without replacing the entire arm.

There's a reason that these are sold as an assembly. The arm twists slightly as it rotates up and down, causing metal fatigue in the arm. That's why replacement lower joints are not available, as are the uppers. No ball joint manufacturer was to get his butt sued off by your widow after the arm fails.

I have seen these arms you describe, IIRC, my impression was they were a cheap Chinese replacement, not an upgrade. There are multiple sources, though, yours could easily be better.

getimage.php

I am on my second set of stock lower arms, with 400,000 miles on the clock. Just how often you planning to replace these joints?
9143_280_210_l_n.jpg

I think you're solving a problem that's not a problem.

It wasn't really a problem. I just bought them because they were $ 15 for the pair and another $ 30 for the Moog uppers. Everything was new and I needed to rebuild the front end on my 65 Falcon. The parts are already on the car, have been since July, without issue. I'm just trying to figure out what brand or manufacturer they might be. Moog does make replacement lower ball joints by the way. I have a set on my 66 Mustang now for 16 years now. They're still available.