Lower Radiator Support

351CLEVOR

Apr 10, 2002
A year or so ago I read an article in CAR CRAFT about a FOX bodied project car that had it's lower radiotor support damaged and they replaced it with a heavy duty square steel piece they had fabbed up. The magazine had borrowed this car to test an engine they had built so it was already in the car. They just showed a picture of it and had a caption in the side bar of the article. I emailed CAR CRAFT and have had no reply. Does anybody have a copy of this article or have done this to their car. My lower rad suuport has been ruined by someone pulling the car with a chain wrapped around it. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I have never seen this article. However I can offer some advice.

Make sure that however the radiator mounts the radiator (more specifically the overflow vent) is the highest part of the cooling system. Air pockets will form in the high spots and stop radiator flow. Another solution is to use a vent that taps into the heater hose, but in my opinion that is adding extra complexity that is unnecessary with proper planning.

I will leave the welding and structural topic for someone with more experience in that area.

Good luck