Lowered Mustangs

TT670 said:
They rub on the outside, its obvious in the pic. By the looks of it, tossing passengers in the back seat would be ugly

they rubbed on the sides because i had my girlfriend in the back on the way up to knotts berry farm car show and my air shock line burnt on the exhaust.. :D

only rubbed a little with no shocks for 1 hour 20 min. drive :rlaugh:

then had to stop at kragens to fix it :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I think it looks great and the "wow" factor is there when you can say you have 315s on your car, but.. With no insult intended, if you need air shocks to keep a tire from rubbing you've got the wrong setup. I think you got lucky in finding the right offset and rear-end width to fit those in there although it's not a setup I'd recommend to anyone.

Is the inner fender lip rolled at all? So your only interference is between the outside of the tire and the fender, inside the tire is okay? With a little massaging of the factory flare you might be okay but it looks like you're already headed for the paint booth.

vobraman I cut a coil off the 620s, did the wedge kit and got mid-eye 4 leafs in back and here is the result. I'll have 17s as soon as the 5.0 is sold so we'll see how that turns out. I had pics of my ground clearance but I can't find them.
P8280017-vi.jpg

Attachments

• P8280017-vi.jpg
    P8280017-vi.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 37
Negative wedge, with 1/2 cut progressive springs and mid-eye 5 leafs...it needs to be lower
attachment.php

315s would be a tight fit but remember some tire companys have smaller sizes then others, i know nittos 315 are like bfgs 295 or something like that.

12sec67, yer ride will look sharp when painted

those tires look like BFG g-Force drag radials, I looked them up at tire rack, they're advertised as 12.4 section width

Thats 1.5" wider than my BFG G-Force KD
(10.9).
I can afford to go 1/2 wider(all to the inside), leaving 1/4" clearance at leaf spring, and 1/4" at wheel well.

I still have no idea where you gained and extra 1" clearance.
oh well.
thanks for all the info and pics.

Count me in too on the amazed crowd... I think I might have 3/4 of an inch to the springs. My fender lips are totally rolled flat to the inside to avoid hitting. In fact... the car is low to the point where it could hit further up the inside of the fender. I'm surprised it doesn't hit during autocrossing. And I'd surely hate to chance hitting my springs. I run the 275-40's on 17" wheels. I'd love to go bigger... but I don't know. Unfortunately I haven't found a company like Detroit Engineering to do for our Mustangs like they do for the Camaro. Those mini tub kits and offset springs looks pretty sweet.

forgive me but,
This might sound mickey mouse,

but If someone made some leafsprings that had cut-outs and about 5" wide and say 1/2"-3/4" deep at the 2 points where your tire bead would make contact with the leaf spring, you'd be able to run a wider wheel/tire combo. Because that's the first place of contact.
maybe after its cut they could be welded together at those points??

Does this sound do-able, or is cutting some meat out the leaf a no-no.
pipedream?
"backyard backspace"

ron67fb said:
With no insult intended, if you need air shocks to keep a tire from rubbing you've got the wrong setup. I think you got lucky in finding the right offset and rear-end width to fit those in there although it's not a setup I'd recommend to anyone.

i usaully run kybs with no problems...not only that i have 2" lowering blocks in the rear.... i put in the air shocks because a bottom of one of my shocks broke.

my fenders are rolled a little but not that much.

i plan on doing it a little better before taking it in to the paint shop.

my list of things to do:

1)put in my 347... :banana:

2)roll the fenders...

3)install new door hinges...

:flag:

You'd better hope a Moderator doesn't see your post and revoke your membership for writing that... let alone thinking of it. :)

grego37 said:
forgive me but,
This might sound mickey mouse,

but If someone made some leafsprings that had cut-outs and about 5" wide and say 1/2"-3/4" deep at the 2 points where your tire bead would make contact with the leaf spring, you'd be able to run a wider wheel/tire combo. Because that's the first place of contact.
maybe after its cut they could be welded together at those points??

Does this sound do-able, or is cutting some meat out the leaf a no-no.
pipedream?
"backyard backspace"

cornercarvin67,
I knew Id get your attention with that one.
I would never do something like that or reccomend that anyone do, so please dont.

how about this one:
maybe one of these performance leaf spring companies will make leaf springs that are not as wide,and maybe using thicker material to compensate. This would let us go a little further in on the backspace.

grego37 said:
how about this one:
maybe one of these performance leaf spring companies will make leaf springs that are not as wide,and maybe using thicker material to compensate.

I think we all know what we're compensating for with all these "I need 315 tires or else!!" threads. Be honest guys, not too many people NEED, let alone know how to USE a 315 tire. Replace every instance of "widest wheel" on this forum to "biggest air filter" and you're in ricer heaven. :):)

Who NEEDS anything but a stock mustang. For each person a different reason. 315 is only the height anyways. I think I run a 295 or maybe even a 300. 295/50 is wider than a 315/35. What do you mean by know how to use ? I mean if it fits, and you like it, run it. I was not aware taller tires needed instructions. :shrug: It's all for looks. Why would anyone want pizza cutters all the way around when you've spent 10k everywhere else to stand out ?

ron67fb said:
I think we all know what we're compensating for with all these "I need 315 tires or else!!" threads. Be honest guys, not too many people NEED, let alone know how to USE a 315 tire. Replace every instance of "widest wheel" on this forum to "biggest air filter" and you're in ricer heaven. :):)

have you looked at any new mags lately... hot rod mag for instance- there called G-machines. :rolleyes:

i'm trying to set up my stang to look differently from everyone elses and one of the things that help me do that is the rims. :hail2:

i can run mid12's on these rims and tires so please tell me how else can i use these rims?

how is this..... i NEEDED THESE RIMS because it sets off the look of the car :flag: