Lowered Mustangs

10secgoal said:
315 is only the height anyways. ... 295/50 is wider than a 315/35...
Before you come down on anyone's post, I'd suggest knowing what you're talking about first.

I never said don't do it, nor did I suggest sticking with pizza cutter tires. Pizza cutter tires belong in the garbage as far as street cars go. If you like the looks, by all means go for it. What I meant by use it is that you'll never reach the performance that a 315 tire is capable of under normal use. I mean come on, we're dealing with leaf springs and a solid axle here. If you have proof that a 315 will yield more "performance" than, say, a 275 that's KNOWN to fit under a '67 without fuss, tire compounds being equal and no other changes other than the tire size itself, show it. Is the extra (if any) performance of a 315 over a 275 really worth the costs of narrowing the rear end, making new leaf springs, mini-tubs, etc? If there was a way to fit 335s back there with no mods I'd be all over that myself but we all know that's not going to happen.

At least 12sec67 admits that he just likes the look, there's nothing wrong with that. I know about g-machines, pro-touring and all that stuff, thank you. I think wide tires look kick ass, but it's not too cost-practical in our cars. In the end it's your car and your money, do what you like.

With no REAL proof that all that hassle is worth it, you guys are just playing the old "swing your thing" contest. Look where Pro-street ended up: who can run the skinniest front tires, the widest rear meats, the narrowest rear-end, the most convoluted roll cage and the biggest, most unstreetable blown race engine while still retaining a license plate. Why? Quite plainly, to outdo each other. Not for performance reasons, but to show what they can spend their money on. At the same time the guys with stock wheelwells, streetable engines and comfortable interiors were walking all over these "pro street" cars on the track and the street. Sound familiar yet?

In the meantime, I'll be doing this to my Mustang soon because, you know, I want to "stand out". :p
IMG_1106-vi.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1106-vi.jpg
    IMG_1106-vi.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 33
  • Sponsors (?)

Man.. it's like everyone on Stangnet is on the rag or something.

Let's at least fight over something more important than "what's the proper name for this bodystyle" or who can use what tire...

ron67fb said:
What I meant by use it is that you'll never reach the performance that a 315 tire is capable of under normal use. I mean come on, we're dealing with leaf springs and a solid axle here. If you have proof that a 315 will yield more "performance" than, say, a 275 that's KNOWN to fit under a '67 without fuss, tire compounds being equal and no other changes other than the tire size itself, show it. Is the extra (if any) performance of a 315 over a 275 really worth the costs of narrowing the rear end, making new leaf springs, mini-tubs, etc?
I hear ya! I don't know why any would think that extra width would give more traction. :rolleyes: Ron, are you saying your car won't spin a 275 street tire? If it does spin a 275, and I am sure Rich's car will, you don't think a tire with 10% more contact patch (315) would help performance? I don't think he relocated anything or minitubbed it. With a different offset wheel it could even use a stock width rear end.

I'm a redneck wanna be! I would love 315's, but don't want to take a chance on buying wheels that don't work right. I will wimp out and go with 275's. I'll be hanging out with a bunch of rednecks in about 5 weeks. Pro-touring.com is having a get together in Pigeon Forge, Tn. I wish the Big Red Camaro would show up. He has to be the "King of All Rednecks". He has 335's on all four corners.

ron67fb said:
Before you come down on anyone's post, I'd suggest knowing what you're talking about first.

I never said don't do it, nor did I suggest sticking with pizza cutter tires. Pizza cutter tires belong in the garbage as far as street cars go. If you like the looks, by all means go for it. What I meant by use it is that you'll never reach the performance that a 315 tire is capable of under normal use. I mean come on, we're dealing with leaf springs and a solid axle here. If you have proof that a 315 will yield more "performance" than, say, a 275 that's KNOWN to fit under a '67 without fuss, tire compounds being equal and no other changes other than the tire size itself, show it. Is the extra (if any) performance of a 315 over a 275 really worth the costs of narrowing the rear end, making new leaf springs, mini-tubs, etc? If there was a way to fit 335s back there with no mods I'd be all over that myself but we all know that's not going to happen. I don't think I need to prove a 315 will have better traction. A wider tire = better traction. If it didn't, we'd all run 7 in wide rims. We must go wide for a reason. But on the track, a 275 can out perform a 275 in laps, if you want to take into the aerodynamic drag, a extra rotating mass of a larger tire.

At least 12sec67 admits that he just likes the look, there's nothing wrong with that. I know about g-machines, pro-touring and all that stuff, thank you. I think wide tires look kick ass, but it's not too cost-practical in our cars. In the end it's your car and your money, do what you like.

With no REAL proof that all that hassle is worth it, you guys are just playing the old "swing your thing" contest.

In the meantime, I'll be doing this to my Mustang soon because, you know, I want to "stand out". :p
IMG_1106-vi.jpg

Right, I 'm the one who came down. I wasn't the one saying no one knows how to use a wheel that WIDE. Besides, that wasn't coming down all that bad. Some of my other posts are coming down.
Is the proof not in the pudding, or at least ALL the pictures provided ? How much more proof is needed ? You don't need to narrow a rear to fit those tires. Maybe to run those specific rims. Buy the same rims, but more backspace. Buldge to buldge, I bet left nut my tires are even wider than his. are. But I got them for performance, but I hate them because it gives a hint to what I'm backing. And I like to walk soft and carry a big stick.

Attachments

• IMG_1106-vi.jpg
    IMG_1106-vi.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 31
Yes 10sec and Brian you are correct about the backspace. However, good luck finding a 17x11.5 wheel with the correct backspace for our cars.

Let me do the simple math required here. We know that for a 7" rim the available "correct" backspacing for our cars is either 3.5" or 3.75", to keep the tire off the outer fender. The 17x8 guys sell rims that are available in 4.5" (Vintage WHeelworks, Centerline) or 4.75" (AR, Cragar, etc) backspacing. By using simple math, for an 11.5" rim we will need a whopping 8 to 8.25 inches of backspacing to put the tire in the same spot. That's a whole lot of negative offset for a wheel, almost FWD territory, something that I doubt is available off the shelf. Now if you were willing to pay for a custom 11.5" wide wheel with 8" of backspacing, then more power to 'ya. It's probably cheaper to have the rear end narrowed. I don't plan on spending over $400 per custom wheel myself. I'm wimping out with Brian and sticking with what's available.

We're still talking about lowered cars for the street here, aren't we? Then the "more rubber = more traction" theory doesn't always hold true, especially when you're talking a difference of 40mm in section width. If you have consistent time slips or lap times that prove going up 40mm in section width has helped you, then congratulations. Most people also don't know that a wider tire simply makes the contact patch a different shape, not necessarily larger! Narrow high-profile tires have a long, skinny contact patch. Wide low-profile tires will have a short but wide contact patch. Spinning tires on a leaf sprung, straight-axle car on the street doesn't decide what kind of tires you need. If your Mustang can't purposely spin the tires on the street, even with 335s, you've got other issues.

Buldge to buldge, I bet left nut my tires are even wider than his ... I think I run a 295 or maybe even a 300.
Bulge to bulge is exactly where the tire is measured, not across the tread. So unless your wheels are wider than his, there's no way a 295 is wider than a 315 unless BFG or your tire maker is lying. A 300 :scratch:? Have you actually looked at your tires?

Let's at least fight over something more important than "what's the proper name for this bodystyle" or who can use what tire...
Um yeah, who asked to measure their tire with a ruler even after the pics were posted?:)

Don't be all defensive guys, it's not like you need my permission to do these things. It's your car, you decide what you're after. I'm not trying to insult anyone so I apologize if it sounded that way.

mach1one said:
I'm in the south and I'm tired of seeing overkill tires in the back. I think 275s are about as big as you can go w/o being too much.

Nobody should need a 315 size tire, unless for looks. But hey, each to their own.

whats redneck in your area might not be in other area's, i think nascar is redneck- that doesn't make me right or wrong about it, cause its just my opinion. :flag:

so you think its foolish :bs: ... i think it looks BAD A$$ :banana: good for me!

it is just an opinion.... :cheers:

12sec67 said:
i think nascar is redneck- that doesn't make me right or wrong about it, cause its just my opinion. :flag:

Hehe, whether you're right or wrong, I think so too. :D

Dont sweat the tire thing. They are difintely unique; I have never seen a setup like that before.

I dont know why everyone is harping about it anyway. I only count three seperate cars in this thread that are pictured and about 15 posts focused on your back tires, not including your necessary replies.

Wow, that is going to be one sick looking car when you get it painted. I am quite jealous. Looks like what i want my car to look like, except mines a 66.

12sec67 said:
HERES MINE! :banana:

front: 720'S cut
rear: stock with 2" blocks :rlaugh:

i plan on getting the reverse eye 5 leafs in the future :D

taking to the paint shop at the end of the month :banana: :banana:

Attachments

• shrunk.JPG
    shrunk.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 68
ron67fb said:
Bulge to bulge is exactly where the tire is measured, not across the tread. So unless your wheels are wider than his, there's no way a 295 is wider than a 315 unless BFG or your tire maker is lying. A 300 :scratch:? Have you actually looked at your tires ?

Sure I have. But mine aren't measured like his or yours. Mine are measured in inches. 28 x 11.5 ( ET Street) And this in on a rim which is too wide for the tire, which makes the buldge at the side even wider. So yes I've looked at my tires, no I haven't measured them in mm. BUt a tire not mounted on the rim it is recomended, is going to change .

12sec67 said:
thanks, like your too :D

how you doing with the new engine... didn't you need to rebuild it or something :shrug:

Nope my car is still sitting at home in the garage. I am going to school 3 hours from where it is, so i wont be able to get to work on it for at least 3 more weeks. I still havnt decided if I want to build a 331 or a 347 yet. I am next to positive i want a set of AFR 205cc heads though. I think i am also going to go with a roller cam with solid lifters.