Lowering Classic's

216Jax

Feb 15, 2007
Hello all, I am new to this forum but I have been lurking around here for awhile. I have a 66 coupe that I am working on and I love it to death. I am looking for something to improve the handling and look great. I have found some 1" loweing springs and leafs but I think I want to go a little lower. I love to ride low but I don't want to look dumb. So, I was wondering if somebody could post some pics of classic Mustangs with a drop. I would appreciate any info that anybody has about the right way to do it. Thanks so much and thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome, jax! Are you familiar w/ the "Shelby drop?" You lower your upper control arm mounting point 1 inch. It doesn't actually drop the car a full inch, though. It's a popular performance mod, and it's FREE if you can do it yourself. Check out this link, and it has a good write-up of how to do it. It's a link to 2bav8's home page. I hope he doesn't mind me linking it.

http://www.geocities.com/2bav8/granada.html#shelby

If you may be in the market for any other suspension parts or upgrades, opentracker (he's on stangnet) is a GREAT resource. He really knows his stuff. His website is opentrackerracingproducts.com. He's answered PM's that I've sent him and let me bend his ear on the phone a few times. I have some of his roller spring perches that I plan to put on when the weather warms up. I can't give you personal experience about them, but I have NEVER read any indifferent or negative feedback about them--only very positive.

Good luck!

I agree with CarFreakGT. The Shelby upper control arm mod is a must. It really does improve the handling of the car. You can look at pics of my car in mygarage to see what it looks like. Some like it, some don't. Build the car the way you want.

Hey thanks so much for the welcome and the much appreciated information. I will most definetely look into the Shelby drop. I am still learning new things all the time, I am pretty young and free is always good! Again, thank you guys so much for everything and I look forward to learning even more. Oh, by the way, your ride is gorgous man! Thanks again, Kyle.

I have found some 1" loweing springs and leafs but I think I want to go a little lower. I love to ride low but I don't want to look dumb.

Just another thought, jax. I don't know if you've already purchased springs, etc., or are just thinking about it. Keep in mind that your springs will settle a little after installation. So, in essence, the car may look just a bit lower a couple of months after you install them than it does initially. So, if you install some springs and still want the car lower, give it a little time to settle to make sure of final height.

I have my 620 springs and have been waiting until I collect all my parts so that I don't have to do things twice. However, I'm considering going ahead and putting the springs on so that they can settle some while I'm still waiting for time and $$$ to allow for more parts.

By the way, I'm not ignoring your request for pics of lowered cars. Mine just isn't lowered. In fact, my front end sits a little higher than the rear, so it wouldn't help you much.

Another thing to bear in mind is that your current springs if they are original probably sit lower than new stock springs and even with 1" lower springs the net drop may be less because of this. A Global West or Grab-a-Trac system w/ lower springs, stiffer shocks and bigger sway bars makes a huge difference. I haven't done the Shelby drop to my car yet but I know a number of people who have and noticed a real improvement in handling. Good luck!