Lowering Springs for a 4 cyl.

StangGrrLy

Miss StangNet 2003
Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Regina, Saskachewan
Hey guys, I know it's been awhile since I've posted. School has been so crazy I haven't had much time to do anything to my car. :( But now I have some extra cash kickin around, and i decided I'm gonna get some springs.

So here's the deal lol. I need some opinions on which to go with, cuz I'm pretty clueless about them. I am leaning towards the Eibach kit, because I can get them for a pretty decent price, but I would like to know what the other options are. Also, if in the event that a 2.3T or possibly a 5.0 goes in there eventually, should I avoid any of them because they will drop too low?

Pics would be very helpful too! ;)
Thanks guys! :D

• Sponsors (?)

Eibach Sportlines lower the car a bit more but the ride is more compliant.
Eibach Pro Kits lowers the car less but is more focused on handling. I had these on my 89 RS camaro. Very rough ride but man it was a lot of fun to drive with those springs on that car.

89Stang said:
Eibach Sportlines lower the car a bit more but the ride is more compliant.
Eibach Pro Kits lowers the car less but is more focused on handling. I had these on my 89 RS camaro. Very rough ride but man it was a lot of fun to drive with those springs on that car.

Switch that. Pro-Kit is less of a lowering effect and decent ride, Sportlines are slammed and ride rough. Stinger will disagree, but I think I'm right.

Ash

Cool I am thinking of lowering my 93 but dont want to be killed by a speed bump either. So I think that the Pro-kit may be the way that I go.

For the longest time I have raised the rear with air and while it looks good it slides like a waterbed and baby oil.

I rode in a Formula Fbody with sportlines. Rode better than My RS with the pro kit. Both still had stock shocks....

So I will stick with the pro kit handles better but with a rougher ride.

89Stang said:
I rode in a Formula Fbody with sportlines. Rode better than My RS with the pro kit. Both still had stock shocks....

So I will stick with the pro kit handles better but with a rougher ride.
The sportline springs are a higher fixed rate spring. The pro-kit is a progressive lower rate spring. I have seen 5.0 cars with the sportline springs and they are pretty damn low and ride pretty harsh. I have the pro-kit springs on my 90 and the hight is perfect and they ride pretty nice. I would personally would not hesitate to reccomend the pro-kit but the sportlines would probably handle a bit better during aggressive driving if you can deal with the rough ride.

StangGrrLy said:
Awesome, thanks guys! Can anyone post up some pics for comparison?

Also, has anyone had any rubbing problems with any of these kits?
I dont really have a good side shot of my car that has the pro-kit springs but I will try and shap one when I get home this evening and post it. As far as rubbing issues, I havnt had any and I am running cobra r's with 255/40-17's all around one 17x8 fronts and 17x9 rear. I havnt rolled the lips or flipped the quad shocks either.

Fbody spring lineup might be different. But here is a pic of my camaro with Eibach Pro's
driverside_front.jpg

ride was stiffer but handled better than the sportline springs in my buddys fbody.
I dont have a pic of his car but one of the guys in our club has them on his GTA with KYB shocks and struts.
ws6rim_14.jpg
The cars end up sitting about the same height due to his car weighing a fair amount more from stereo and stuff. But it kind of gives you an idea.... Though in the pics it looks like I am lower... but a lot of that has to do with his car sitting on the grass and the fact I have tall profile 15 inch tires on when hehas low pro 17s. Side by side he sits slightly lower.
lowered_rs.jpg

here is a pic of my Z28 you can see the difference!
PICT0019.jpg

I have Maxspeed springs. I love them. I think they are a ricer company, but I got them for cheap on ebay. I had to cut somewhere between 3/4 and 1 1/4 coils off the front, I dont remember exactly. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• stang.jpg
    stang.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 191
I tried to take some pictures yesterday but it was too dark when I got home so they didnt come out. This is the only picture I have taken since I installed the springs. Its a bad pic but you can see how the car sits. I think the picture makes the back look a little bit higher than it really is though. Probably cause the driveway is uneven or something.

90lx_prokit.jpg

My car has the eibach pro-kit (black springs) and it's too low and rides like a brick **** house...NEVER will I buy another set of them. I don't care what their site says about them...they are stiffer than the sportlines (just think of the names for a second...doesn't PRO seem like a more serious spring than SPORT?).

Oh man now I'm getting confused lol. Basically what I'm going for is to go as low as possible without rubbing issues. I can get CC plates if necessary, but I will also have new rims and tires by then (17" with probably 245/45 tires all around). I could care less if it rides rough, lol that just makes it more fun to drive. So I think my mind has changed more towards the Sportlines, as they are a little bigger drop from what I understand?

My rear used to rub on the fenders really bad. I was running 245-60r-14's at the time. I switched to some 225-60r-14's and they still rubbed. I ended up hammering the the fender "lip" (look at it and you will see what I'm talking about) flat against the fender. The rubbing issue is basically solved. If I have a couple people in the backseat and hit a bump pretty good then it still hits. I dont think my rear wheel wells are different since mine is a vert.

-Josh

P.S.-When the photo was taken I had 5/8" spacers in the rear, so it actually sits lower than in the pic. Any lower in the front and I would hit on EVERY speed bump and steep drive, not just big ones like I do now.