Lowering Springs on '92 Vert

JKidd

Aug 21, 2007
Suffield, CT
I have a '92 LX 5.0L Convertible and I would like to lower it a bit. She's and absolutely gorgeous car (Deep Emerald Green with a white leather interior, white dust cover and a black top) but she sits too high. The motor is built quite nicely for what it is and the chassis is stiffened (subframes, g-load, and strut tower bracing).

I don't want to drop in into the weeds and ideally, I would not want it lower past the point of helping handling (ie. going too low to the point of hurting handling). The stock spring rates feel fine, though I wouldn't mind something mildly firmer but that is not necessary. I do not want to go softer. I would also like to keep the stock struts and shocks (they only have 43k miles on them and seem to be fine). And based on the use of this car, I think a progressive rate spring would be best.

On my previous '92 LX Hatch, I went with FMS "B" springs and was happy with them. Some have commented that the B springs would drop a convertible too much (adversely effect handling).

My thought was possibly the B springs with some poly spring isolators.

So, I want to lower it but not to the point of hurting handling while maintaining a near-stock like ride quality.

Opinions would be welcome here as far as the B with poly would be good or if there are better alternatives.

I've had suggestions of 2" drop spindles for the front...but those are out of my budget.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

to be honest i think every vehicle is different when it comes to lowering... ive seen the exact same springs put on 2 different vehicles and they lower different rates...i mean my b springs lowered the front of my car quite a bit more than i thought it would and i even used the poly isolators...i started to like it though...

100_0398.jpg

the only time i have issues with the ride height is if im cornering hard and i forgot to put my 10 way adjustable struts back to a stiffer ride the tire hits a tad but its not a biggie... hope that may help

jim