LS1 vs 302H.O.

The Fox

Mar 30, 2005
Port Elizabeth
Obviously, when STOCK vs. STOCK it is no contest...

But why should GM owner's be proud when there 350ci engines of 2002 are beating 302ci engines of 93 and WAY earlier.

The LS1 is 16% larger in displacement. The STOCK horsepower is 35% more.

It's like one of us being proud of beating a Civic and bragging about it...

Anyway, the reason I thought to even start this was because my friend always has to say how inferior Ford is. But now that I've got project 557 his excuse better not be that I'm using a 9.1L with over 600 horses to the wheels.

• Sponsors (?)

I love my LS1. it's not that it's fast(well yeah it is), but it's the package as a whole that I think makes it great .I just love the way the car looks sounds and feels. Considering that the LS platform will be 10 years old this year I think that it has done very well for itself and no, there is no comparison between the LS1 and the 302 b/c they are completely different engines. It's like apples and oranges.

The Fox said:
Obviously, when STOCK vs. STOCK it is no contest...

But why should GM owner's be proud when there 350ci engines of 2002 are beating 302ci engines of 93 and WAY earlier.

The LS1 is 16% larger in displacement. The STOCK horsepower is 35% more.

It's like one of us being proud of beating a Civic and bragging about it...

But the fact is that think about the mentality of faster car owners. 95% of people on here call everyone with a civic a ricer and saying they're slow piece of $hits. Are we in fact any different? No.

The simple truth of LS1 vs. 302, is that its a better motor with a better powerband and both have great aftermarket followings. Do H/C/I to keep up with an LS1, LS1 does H/C/I now you need forced induction....Rinse...Lather...Repeat...

A lot of Mustang owners are asshat's too. Why? Because they're affordable and everyone that has a couple g's can have a fairly quick car and then all of a sudden they think they're the fastest. Its all retarded, stop with the nonsense!

The problem with the LS1 is that it's wrapped in an ugly POS large mouth bass lookin Camaro. While i'm not a huge fan of brand swapping with engines, if i were to build a classic hotrod or something it would probably have an LS1.

The only thing more powerful than the LS1 is ignorance

QFT

I just saw this,
rigamaroles said:
A lot of Mustang owners are asshat's too. Why? Because they're affordable and everyone that has a couple g's can have a fairly quick car and then all of a sudden they think they're the fastest. Its all retarded, stop with the nonsense!

And I couldnt agree with you more.

for some reason, chevy owners like to put thier motors in back wards... :)
6al.jpg

:shrug:

As with anything else, technology plays a big factor in things. Engines are no different, the 302 has been around for 40 years or so. Which is why, in 1996, Ford switched to the modular 281. The 96-98 GTs were turds, which was mainly due to the poor design of the heads. The 96-98 Cobras had 305hp. With a little more tuning the 99+ Cobras would have had as much HP as the LS1s.

As far as being a "ricer" goes....4 cylinder cars have never been built for drag racing. Comparing a V8 to a V8 is one thing, comparing it to a 4 cylinder is something different.

heres fords recipe for their own ls1,
-347 forged bottom end in a aluminum block.
-ford racing z303 cylinder heads
-ford created custom cam, so it idles like a stocker
-gt-40 intake, or one they would produce
-24#'s
bango, fords first ls1 eater

The LS1 one is the best v8 on the market for all around performance right now, I don't care what anyone says. I'm not sucking up to it either, I have a buddy who does nothing but talks junk to me, at least until I stomp a foot deep mudhole in his @$$ this spring but still, the ls1 is a sick motor. An ls1 can easily knock down 20mpg and be quicker than a h/c/i stang. And most h/c/i stangs aren't going to knock 20 down. Not saying it cant be done, but a lot of em don't. Ford screwed up not doing the 351W like chevy done their 350. Aluminum block, updated, stronger, and hell yeah that'd be an ls1 killer. The mod motor is a good motor but a failure in what could have been done imo.

90_Red_LX said:
The LS1 one is the best v8 on the market for all around performance right now, I don't care what anyone says. I'm not sucking up to it either, I have a buddy who does nothing but talks junk to me, at least until I stomp a foot deep mudhole in his @$$ this spring but still, the ls1 is a sick motor. An ls1 can easily knock down 20mpg and be quicker than a h/c/i stang. And most h/c/i stangs aren't going to knock 20 down. Not saying it cant be done, but a lot of em don't. Ford screwed up not doing the 351W like chevy done their 350. Aluminum block, updated, stronger, and hell yeah that'd be an ls1 killer. The mod motor is a good motor but a failure in what could have been done imo.

Although there is no stock engined car with a DOHC 5.4 in it, i would venture to say that if there were, it would hold it's own easily against an LS1. I don't knock the LS1 but it isn't God's gift to internal combustion either.

Oh boy another one of these types of threads... I cant agree more than the LS1 guys look at 5.0 owners and say what we say about Civic owners. They look at the car as inferior because it takes soo much to run with an LS1. A cam only LS1 with bolt ons will go low 11s or better on a tire. A 5.0 takes a LOT of mods to run low 11s on motor... same way a stock 5.0 will go low 13s with bolt ons gears and tires, and it takes a lot more to get a Civic there!

DEFWISH said:
for some reason, chevy owners like to put thier motors in back wards... :)
6al.jpg

:shrug:

no, i just think they're racist against distributors, so they make them sit in the back of the motor. ford should make a slogan like: ford, the rosa parks of distributors

The Fox said:
Because for a long time these cars were considered a benchmark. 5.0s are still the cars everyone loves to say they beat. Overall though I think saying GM owners shouldn't be proud is pretty weak.

If Ford did one thing right, it was the 5.0HO.
If GM did one thing right, it was the LS1.
GM took it's tried, true, and proven 327 platform SBC and improved it to the LS series engines. Ford on the other hand, just clean sheeted and built an engine that makes less power and cost a lot more to build. Yes, they did a good job with the Cobra engines, but at what cost and time?

I work at a GM dealer, and although every thing they build is a POS, one thing they did right was those engines, actual problems with the engine mechanically are almost unheard of. Ford 4.6/5.4, slinging rods, wearing out before 100K miles, spark plugs blowing out, tons of issues.