LS1 Vs LT1

ive actually been driving my brothers 96 z28 while im tryin to figure out my electrical problems in the stang and that car has exhaust, and a few other items but mostly stock motor, and even in a stock condition that car is a ripper.

• Sponsors (?)

A few comments here:

The reason you do not see the boost on the ls1/lt1's is simply because of the compression they run from the factory...not that they don't respond well because trust me - they do!

The 03/04 Cobra with just 281 cubic inches is BLOWN...so I think it isn't a fair comparison with a blower. Nor is it with 346cu. inches vs. 281 in a similar weighted and marketed car. Either way it isn't a fair comparison. Factory stock or not...

Technology prevails. We don't need the big cubes anymore. We can make the power with less now and have better street manners easily...

The ls6 WAS in the zo6, the ls7 is in the new zo6 with 500hp. A buddy of mine has an 03 zo6...very nice car (handling, braking, straightline). Got it for 42k brand new...

huRACEmentPSR said:
oh i fully agree with what youre saying. espically with the 03/04 cobras. they are i think .2 seconds slower than a zo6 vette in the 1/4, cost much less, can fit 4 or 5 people, sound way nicer, and look hands down better. all im saying is imagine how badly ford would waste GM IF there was a larger all aluminium motor. i think there would be no contest. thats all i was trying to say

The zo6 handles better, is faster in every acceleration and top speed category, and brakes better than the 03/04 Cobra.

Looks in based on opinion...

The .2 seconds don't mean much. The zo6 traps about 6mph faster than the 03/04 Cobra and weighs roughly 6-700lbs lighter.

As I stated earlier my friend got a 03 zo6 for 42k BRAND NEW...

I personally prefer the looks of a clean zo6 over a Cobra...again that is opinion based.

z06's personally make me want to throw up, way too plain jane for the great history its had. and the new ones...look like a rx8 front slapped on a c5 with ariced out body kit. to each his own though...im just strongly biased...i was born that way

My buddy bought a 98 vette,, i had never sat in one or anything, after being in his, you feel like your sitting in a go-kart, with the ride to match. Vetts are ok from the outside (except the new one, the new one is nice as hell) but i think a mustang is all around nicer in every way. From looks, to ride, to ease of mods and ease of working on.. Im not biased at all, i had a firebird before my first stang.. I still like the ws6 birds.. But hands down i like the stang better then all the gm stuff... Ill give it to GM for the new GTO, but they shoulda named it the grandprix ss or something, not the GTO

DarkMesa8 said:
Not all LS1s in the Fbodies were created equal.

On the actual engine itself they were. Some got some extra options (you payed for them) with a better flowing exhaust, less restrictived intake, and different trannies added up to the differences along with the internal condition of the engine. Most of those differences are added to the SS and ws6 packages...

Hardly anything different between them...

5spd GT said:
On the actual engine itself they were. Some got some extra options (you payed for them) with a better flowing exhaust, less restrictived intake, and different trannies added up to the differences along with the internal condition of the engine. Most of those differences are added to the SS and ws6 packages...

Hardly anything different between them...

That is incorrect. Around the 2001 year GM started equipping regular Trans Ams and Z28s with an LS6 intake and a truck cam. That's why you see the last of the Fbodies putting down 310rwhp straight off the showroom floor.

The WS6 is a suspension and looks package, no differences between a 99 WS6 and a 99 Trans Am, or a 2002 WS6 and a 2002 Trans am motor wise.

SWYZ721 said:
Just to tack-on since no one is mentioning them, a stock LT1 is generally equivalent with a very stout 94-95 Cobra, possibly mild bolt ons (CAI, exhaust).
Generally speaking that is.

I give the LT1's a small advantage, but the 94/95 Cobras were definitely strong competitors with the 93-97 Z28s. I'm basing this on the runs my friend's 94 Cobra has had with LT1s back when he was stock.

DarkMesa8 said:
That is incorrect. Around the 2001 year GM started equipping regular Trans Ams and Z28s with an LS6 intake and a truck cam. That's why you see the last of the Fbodies putting down 310rwhp straight off the showroom floor.

The WS6 is a suspension and looks package, no differences between a 99 WS6 and a 99 Trans Am, or a 2002 WS6 and a 2002 Trans am motor wise.

I am very aware of that...but I'm simply stating that their isn't "big" differences at all.

I'm a member on www.ls1.com and www.camaroz28.com and have several ls1 friends along with the zo6 owner who is about to install a Procharger :nice:

On the ws6 vs. transam difference here it is: ASC packaged car, 17" wheels, high level spoiler, ram air hood, suspension upgrades, low restriction exhaust compared to the transam with 16" wheels and the "regular" exhaust...

DarkMesa8 said:

My brothers Sunset Orange 2001 T/A put down 324rwhp and 339rwtq SAE corrected with a lid and a SLP loudmouth catback. He just put in a Thunder Racing 224 cam and kooks long tubes with a high flow y-pipe...385rwhp and 377rwtq :nice:

diddylx50 said:
My brothers Sunset Orange 2001 T/A put down 324rwhp and 339rwtq SAE corrected with a lid and a SLP loudmouth catback. He just put in a Thunder Racing 224 cam and kooks long tubes with a high flow y-pipe...385rwhp and 377rwtq :nice:

Yeah those numbers are right on:nice:

The 224* cams seem to be a very popular cam...