LS1 Vs LT1

I know a lot of f-body guys, I usually was the only mustang mixed in with TA's, Camaro's, a few Vettes, as well as a couple other cars.

LT1 vs LS1 = both capable, LS1 came with some better parts but with a few mods the LT1 will catch it. The LT series is GM SBC GenII. It's a regular SBC 327 block, 3.48 stroke, 4" bore. Unlike the regular Gen-I except it has reverse flow cooling, cam driven waterpump, and opti-spark ignition(which sucks). It has a few restrictions and once you clear them up, your ready to go. Really the LT1 was a stepping stone to the final draft, the LS1. The LS1 is GenIII SBC. It comes in a 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0L. Often getting different names such as LS6, LS2, but otherwise the same motor. The trucks have Steel blocks, but alumimum heads, longer runner intakes but otherwise are the same as the cars. My truck has the 4.8L LS1, 275HP/285TQ, and gets good gas milege. Unlike any other truck engine I have ever driven, it really screams top end.

• Sponsors (?)

ther is one thing that nobody is talking about is the fact that ls1's are of a second wave pulse tune which makes it an entirely different engine than anything else out there, pushrod or overhead cam. I drive a 5.0 and like it very much, but having worked on ls1's at the dealer level, i do appreciate its ease of maintenance and awsome power potential. Having said that i think the ls1 is the best engine ever made, but i like my mustang better even though it is a dinosaur compared to an f-body.

DarkMesa 8 said:
The WS6 is a suspension and looks package, no differences between a 99 WS6 and a 99 Trans Am, or a 2002 WS6 and a 2002 Trans am motor wise.

WS6 and the SS packages in the 98+ F-bodies (the SS was an appearance package in the 96 Camaro...unless you had the SLP version) was also a 15hp upgrade with ram air induction on both the Bird and the Maro and low-restriction exhaust...if you had an SLP version of both cars (Firehawk and SS) then you had the 325hp rather than the 320hp ratings

just my .02 :D

crazykid2056 said:
Yeah, I've heard that just an aftermarket air lid shaves .3 off the F-Body LS1. Just a little more air and the LS1 is even a bigger monster.

How about force fed air! Here is a video of a Cartec tuned STS turbo GTO. He got only one run before they kicked him off the track for no roll cage. This was his 1st run in the 10s. His last trip out was 11.09 or so!

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24512

5spd GT said:
The F-bodies have always gave me more of a jurassic park type feel personally :shrug: but I still want one :nice:

No you don't, trust me, keep the fox. I rub it in all my F-body buddies' faces the fact that my car only broke on my twice, once because the distributer pickup broke apart, and the other time I blew the tranny, that's it. The F-body guys are allways having trouble. They might be fast, and thier motors might be good, but the body.... oh no, not very well laid out.

well ive owned several foxs and i bought a 94 z28 in may with the lt1 and dreaded 4l60e auto not the t56. but i got it for $1500 with 105k so i thought it was a good deal.after i got it home i fixed a few issues and found it had a hypertech piggy back pcm controller and k&n intake. the 330ft lbs of torque is what sold me.way faster than my modded 5.0 so i sold the stang as i was on tranny number 3 and a month later i lost reverse in the camaro,lol.
the stangs are way easier to get stuff for, easier to work on and true dual exhaust. the 4th gens handle a lil better but not so good still, sideways in a second. they are already 5 lug 4 wheel disc brakes, traction control on some, way better seats. the autos are better than say an aod but as i found out not very strong.and a t56 swap would cost me as much as 2k or more. all 93 up have 6speed t56, something i wish ford would have taken a cue on for all 94 up gt's. headers are a pain, a reg tune up takes hours since you cant get to plugs from up top. opti spark is a bad idea (lt1) gas milage is really damn good though for a car with like 300hp and 335ft lbs of torque i was getting 20-24mpg. now i got no stang and no reverse so i stepped it up and bought a 93 yamaha fzr600 that gets 50mpg and can run a 11 sec quarter mile lol. talk about insane fast! the lt1 has that low end torque that your used to with a 5.0 only alot more and more top end i think. a fox with a lt1 would kill it, let alone a ls1, ive driven both my car and my friends 99 ls1 with air lid longtubes and t56 and it doesnt feel any faster than my car but i know it is.
well im stuck with the chebby so ill fix it but eventually i want a edge stang. foxes are too much rattle trapps for me to go back but nothing quit does it like the feel of a 5.0 with a t5 rippn thru gears!
i daily drive a 4 wheel steer 88 honda prelude si now thats a car that out handles almost anything but could use some extra power lol.

compare a lt1 ls1 to a 351w if you want i think that as close as you can compare and a stock 351w isnt to exciting but its really a truck motor in modern terms

This thread is 5 years old, but I'm sure people will appreciate your input. Me? I think there's a reason GM never sold many F-bodies, and then scrapped them.
yeah they are a real pain to work on, they really shoehorned the lt1 and ls1 in there. well i found the thread when i was looking for a mustang with a lt1 motor swap:) because im thinkn about it. built ford tuff with chevy stuff. its such a great motor that would do better in a lighter car.
i was think 3rd gen t5 bolted to lt1 in a sn95 or fox